Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Spell Check not working in .txt file(Can't figure out how to get Spell Checker functionality in files with .txt extension)
Spell Check not working in .txt file [message #1790832] Mon, 18 June 2018 18:34 Go to next message
Jim Miller is currently offline Jim MillerFriend
I just can't figure out how to get spellcheck functionality to work in files with a ".txt" extension. Spell check works in my source code files in the comments. Eclipse knows about the .txt extension in Window > Preferences > General > Content Types > Text. Already searched the forums and the Internet. Using Eclipse CDT Oxygen 4.7.2 on Win10. Posting here because it seems like it should be a simple configuration issue (so many settings!). The reason I'm asking is because I use a simple .txt file in my project sources for documentation and notes.
Re: Spell Check not working in .txt file [message #1844307 is a reply to message #1790832] Wed, 08 September 2021 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oliver Loidl is currently offline Oliver LoidlFriend
Hello,

I have the same problem with Eclipse 2021.06
Are there any updates to this?

Regards
Re: Spell Check not working in .txt file [message #1844313 is a reply to message #1844307] Wed, 08 September 2021 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Is there a bug report open for it? My own understanding is that the Text Editor is as plain as can be and that
it was never intended to perform spell checking, so you'll need to actually have a feature request to change
that.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Spell Check not working in .txt file [message #1844330 is a reply to message #1844313] Thu, 09 September 2021 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

what do you mean exactly?
Like in the original post mentioned, the spell checker works already with the comments in the source files.
You could configure it under Windows -> Preferences -> General -> Editors -> Text Editors -> Spelling

Regards
Re: Spell Check not working in .txt file [message #1844387 is a reply to message #1844330] Sun, 12 September 2021 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Never mind, I was incorrect. I'm not sure what happens when only CDT is installed, but spell checking in .txt files works when
JDT is installed because that's where the spelling engine lives. If CDT has one as well, but it might not be written to
work on .txt files.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Spell Check not working in .txt file [message #1844403 is a reply to message #1844387] Mon, 13 September 2021 06:42 Go to previous message
In my setup only CDT is available.
Previous Topic:Text Editor, key bindings (Home/End/Start/End)
Next Topic:FrameworkEvent ERROR
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:01:58 GMT 2024