Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » eGit - where's staged and status options?(Basic eGit operations)
eGit - where's staged and status options? [message #1790095] Mon, 04 June 2018 20:10 Go to next message
Jim Lakis is currently offline Jim LakisFriend
Hello,

Self taught junior level developer here that has only used Eclipse Oxygen for about 2 years now and would like to start using eGit too. I have only read about Git in general.

In my Eclipse installation, eGit is installed according to my Marketplace. I've used the drop down menu on a project to create the repository (outside of my eclipse workspace directory) and have sought to Commit a file.

A window associated presumable with Git opens in the IDE that allows for comments on the commit along with other options when attempting to commit a file from the drop down menu. When a brief message is added and the Commit button is selected, a warning message appears stating that the file had not been staged yet.

The question is, (1) I've not seen the option to stage a file during the use of the drop down menu earlier or in the opened window, so what needs to be done?

Also, (2) how does one check the status of a repository?

Grateful,

Eclipse for JavaScript and Web Developers
Version: Oxygen.3a Release (4.7.3a)
Build id: 20180405-1200
Windows 7 64 bit

[Updated on: Mon, 04 June 2018 20:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: eGit - can one check the repository's status? [message #1790096 is a reply to message #1790095] Mon, 04 June 2018 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

You might find the learning materials linked at https://wiki.eclipse.org/WTP_Git_Migration_Home#Learning_Materials , especially the eGit User Guide, to be helpful.

You're looking to Team->Add one or more files before you can commit their modifications.

What do you mean by "status"?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform

[Updated on: Mon, 04 June 2018 20:22]

Re: eGit - can one check the repository's status? [message #1790097 is a reply to message #1790096] Mon, 04 June 2018 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Lakis is currently offline Jim LakisFriend
Nitin Dahyabhai wrote on Mon, 04 June 2018 13:22

...You're looking to Team->Add one or more files before you can commit their modifications.

Do you mean the option highlighted in the attached png file?

index.php/fa/33008/0/

Nitin Dahyabhai wrote on Mon, 04 June 2018 13:22
What do you mean by "status"?

I'm referring to a command read about in an online Git tutorial:
git status -s

Will peruse that documentation you suggested too.

Thanks

• Attachment: git3.png
    (Size: 32.64KB, Downloaded 271 times)

Eclipse for JavaScript and Web Developers
Version: Oxygen.3a Release (4.7.3a)
Build id: 20180405-1200
Windows 7 64 bit

[Updated on: Mon, 04 June 2018 20:53]

Re: eGit - can one check the repository's status? [message #1790100 is a reply to message #1790097] Tue, 05 June 2018 04:05 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Yes, Add to Index is what would stage a file. You can also do that directly from the Git Staging view, which is the more concise way of looking at the status of the repository. The other way is using the decorations in the Project Explorer, Navigator, etc. views, as shown at https://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/User_Guide/One_page#Inspecting_the_state_of_the_Repository .

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Previous Topic:Problem with Eclipse
Next Topic:Regarding posting message on 4DIAC
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 05:29:05 GMT 2024