Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Need Help: what is the best approach to remove some UML elements from palette/menus?
Need Help: what is the best approach to remove some UML elements from palette/menus? [message #1790043] Mon, 04 June 2018 06:43 Go to next message
Ri Fr is currently offline Ri FrFriend
Hello
I would like to use Papyrus Oxygen for teaching. I want to restrict what students can see in the Palette and context menu (right click on model explorer) to reduce clutter/confusion/anxiety about UML.

For example I need students to see only logical level UML elements (e.g. class, attribute, operation, association...) but not physical level elements (e.g expression, enumeration, primitive type etc.).

I have not been able to find a clear / consistent explanation on how to do this in Papyrus documentation. The "About UML profiling, version 1.0.0" mentions the isStrict function but in the same sentence says that it's not implemented. Otherwise seems like I may need to recreate the whole UML standard profile from scratch minus the elements I want to omit. The document is dated 2011.

There is a menu to choose perspectives and another to choose viewpoints; seems like they can be customized but have not found out how.

The Palette customization works in Oxygen, but I have found no easy (or clear) way to save it so it can be imported by students; and this would still leave unwanted elements in context menu (right click).

I found Papyrus for education and Papyrus for information modeling which have the same idea (show only a simpler subset of UML elements), but neither supports all diagrams I need.

If anyone can offer guidance and a clear direction on how to hide unwanted elements from Papyrus I would be most grateful! Thanks!!!!

Richard

[Updated on: Mon, 04 June 2018 06:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Need Help: what is the best approach to remove some UML elements from palette/menus? [message #1790046 is a reply to message #1790043] Mon, 04 June 2018 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benoit Maggi is currently offline Benoit MaggiFriend
Hi Richard,

From what I understand, you want to achieve something similar to Papyrus 4 Education
(It's used to be a customization of Papyrus, no up to date version for Oxygen or Photon)

- Profile are used to extend UML; if you only need to hide element there is no need for a Profile.

- You can export the palette using the firth button in the Menu Customize Palette
( I don't see any import button, so it doesn't really help you)

IMHO: The only option is to create you own architecture/product

You can check this bit it's not up to date with the Photon version.

What is your level in Eclipse development ?

Regards,
Benoît
Re: Need Help: what is the best approach to remove some UML elements from palette/menus? [message #1790052 is a reply to message #1790046] Mon, 04 June 2018 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Benoit!
yes I need Papyrus 4 education but I need it for latest stable/bug free version (I assume Oxygen?) and I need package diagram and component diagram in addition to diagrams in Papyrus 4 education.

My level (and my students') in Eclipse is zero.

Thanks for inf and if anyone has any idea do let me know...

Richard
Re: Need Help: what is the best approach to remove some UML elements from palette/menus? [message #1790086 is a reply to message #1790043] Mon, 04 June 2018 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto Posse is currently offline Ernesto PosseFriend
Something that might be helpful is the customization guide available in the Papyrus for Information Modelling wiki [1]. I think it is a bit outdated (I'm not sure if it works on Photon), but contains plenty of useful information.

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Papyrus_for_Information_Modeling/Customization_Guide

Re: Need Help: what is the best approach to remove some UML elements from palette/menus? [message #1790170 is a reply to message #1790086] Wed, 06 June 2018 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benoit Maggi is currently offline Benoit MaggiFriend
Hi,

The most common option is to create your customization from scratch.
(like SysML 1.4, Information Modeling....)

I had an other idea and put it in practice.
Basically, I copy/pasted all configuration files (related to palette and menu) in a unique plugin and added the glue to create a RCP product.

You may try the prototype here.

You will still need these skills:
- installing/running git (provided in Eclipse with EGit)
- installing/running maven. (provided in Eclipse with m2e)

So far I don't have any simpler idea.

Regards,
Benoît
Re: Need Help: what is the best approach to remove some UML elements from palette/menus? [message #1790290 is a reply to message #1790170] Fri, 08 June 2018 01:01 Go to previous message
Thanks Benoit but my team does not have Eclipse skills.
The good news is that Palette customization works in Oxygen (we never could get it to work in Neon, so we'll go with that for now.
Side note: for non-teaching purpose (work) I use Sparx Enterprise Architect which provides this functionality via "MDG" technology - we made a logical level UML profile and saved it as MDG; the tool lets you disable the standard UML profile and enable your custom profile, then all palettes and context menus are consistent with the custom profile. Maybe a functionality for future releases?
Previous Topic:SysML general view (packages?)
Next Topic:java final, @Override keywords
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 04:15:24 GMT 2024