Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » How do I recover from Drag-&-Drop?(I did a Windows 7 Drag-&-Drop Workspace. Now I cannot access project)
How do I recover from Drag-&-Drop? [message #1786870] Mon, 14 May 2018 14:43 Go to next message
Mark Oliver is currently offline Mark OliverFriend
Eclipse IDE for Java Developers, Version: Oxygen.3a Release (4.7.3a), Build id: 20180405-1200

I have little experience with Eclipse and am currently learning about Workspace and Import.
My workspace folder was in the wrong place and I cannot find a Move Workspace command, although there is a Move Project command. So, I used Windows 7 Drag-and-Drop to move it. Drag-and-Drop from one hard drive to another is a copy. Drag-and-Drop on the same hard drive is a move. I used Drag-and-Drop on the same hard drive. I immediately knew there was a problem because I was left with two Workspaces, both the original Workspace and a new Workspace. The new Workspace works fine(?). I can find the project, programs and code. I would like to create a Workspace for future use. I went into Eclipse and created this new Workspace with the intention of importing my project into the future Workspace. This does not work. The Import command cannot find the project to import. It seems that the Import command cannot find an index or find the location of the project in the index. I have gotten the message "Not in sync". I have done Refresh, Restart Eclipse, Close&Open Eclipse, Restart Windows 7, ShutDown&Bootup Windows 7.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

References:
Eclipse workspace: Here
https://help.eclipse.org/mars/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.isv%2Fguide%2FresInt_workspace.htm
https://help.eclipse.org/mars/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.isv%2Fguide%2FresInt_workspace.htm

Drag and drop or copy and paste
https://help.eclipse.org/oxygen/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.user%2FgettingStarted%2Fqs-31b.htm
https://help.eclipse.org/oxygen/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.user%2FgettingStarted%2Fqs-31b.htm

Import wizard

Re: How do I recover from Drag-&-Drop? [message #1787162 is a reply to message #1786870] Sun, 20 May 2018 17:41 Go to previous message
Patrick Moran is currently offline Patrick MoranFriend
Since you haven't received an answer in a long time, I will try to tell you what has worked for me. Before I begin, I should let you know that I am a Macintosh user. I used to use Windows on a consistent basis and used to be familiar with the rather more dictatorial and inconsistent ways of the Gates world. For instance, you say that "drag-and-drop on the same hard drive is a move, yet you say that when you performed that operation you ended up with duplicate workspaces. I don't understand how these statements can fail to be contradictory. You also imply that you found and executed a create new workplace command. I've poked around in the Eclipse drop-down menus but can't find any such command. Regardless, I would be cautious about using Eclipse for operations that can be accomplished outside of Eclipse. You say that you made a new workspace and then tried to import an existing project into it. If I have an alternative workspace I can move an existing project into it, I think, however you say you couldn't do that despite having a idea in abstract of how to accomplish this task.

I would handle all of this stuff outside of Eclipse. I keep all of my workspaces at the root level, simply because it keep paths short and I am doing some stuff with DB connections that can be tricky to get set up properly the first time. Let's say that I have a folder there labeled "Eclipse workspace 1," and that I have made some progress but the last time I got to DB-handler_07 everything blew up and that project and all previous projects became corrupted. So I had to start over, and now I'm back to DB-handler_06. Remembering all the work I lost last time, I go outside Eclipse after being sure I've saved "06." I make one new folder called "Eclipse workspace 2" and one called Eclipse archive 1." Being a bit paranoid by this point, I open the first workspace and make two duplicates of "06," go back into Eclipse and import them. (This is one place where the Eclipse stuff is crucial. I'll return to how to do this later.) I open and run each of the cloned projects. If I haven't forgotten how to control-click on a file icon to duplicate it, this good result should be virtually 100% successful. Next I bop out of Eclipse and move one copy of "06" to workspace 2 and the other to the newly created archive file. If I've had a long struggle to get to that point then I usually lock the file so I won't carelessly mess it up at some point in the future.

Now that I have a second workspace and it has the last successful project in a chain of projects in it, I to Eclipse/file/Switch Workspace. Then I have to go to "other," back out of workspace one and back to the enclosing folder, which in my case is root, and find my newly created second workspace. When I find it I'm given the option to "relaunch," which is what I have to do to leave the old workspace and enter the new workspace in Eclipse.

When I get to the second workspace I find it is empty. That is because Eclipse hasn't found the old project I copied over to the new workspace file, and Eclipse hasn't added hidden files that cache all kinds of information (which is what got all corrupted the first time around and cost me a week of work). So I go to file/import.../ and I'm asked to "Select and import wizard." I open General and select "Existing Projects into Workspace. Then at the bottom I click "next." From there I'm asked to "select root directory," so I press "browse" and find that I'm within a sub-directory or folder, but it is the old folder that I'm trying to get out of for good, so I click on the top box that has the old workspace name in it, and from there I navigate back to root, where I can find "Eclipse workspace 2," When I press "open" I see "Eclipse workspace 2" at the top and then the filelist for all enclosed files. Don't click on anything. You are already there, and clicking on an enclosed folder will just put you into that sub-folder where you don't want to be. Instead, just click "open," and you'll see the second workspace name on the top and a box with all enclosed projects. The new project(s) will be pre-selected, so all you have to do is to press "Finish" at the bottom, right-hand.

This process isn't so arduous once you've done it a couple times. You now have one good project to back to in the first workspace, and another good copy in the archive, and you could clone either to put into an Eclipse workspace 3" if the second workspace goes fubar. Moreover, it'll still be there if workspace 4 becomes fubar.

Never fail to create a new workspace every time you have solved some major problem. Never risk any advancement that you wouldn't casually delete from your system. Eclipse is useful, but anything having to do with Windowbuilder is the touchiest stuff I've seen since the dawning of commercially produce IDE for C development back in the early 90s when a mistake could give you the fudge ripple screen that meant you would hope nothing more drastic was needed than to force-quit your Mac and hope it would reboot after a rest of half a minute and not have any more serious problems with file system or whatever. So sedulously keep backups, especially for GUI stuff.

Previous Topic:Can't Unzip All Eclipse Files: "Path too long"
Next Topic:Certificate Pinning in Android Paho Mqtt -Library [3.1.1.0 ] -issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:58:01 GMT 2024