Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Why can't a test suite be split into multiple OS processes?
Why can't a test suite be split into multiple OS processes? [message #1784735] Tue, 03 April 2018 11:11
Ilya Basin is currently offline Ilya BasinFriend
Hi.
It seems that the authors of the "C/C++ Unit Testing Support" weren't very perspicacious about the needs of programmers.

In C/C++ global variables are not that uncommon, especially, in command line tools. If I was to invoke such a tool during a test run, I would have to either call the main() function multiple times from a single process or use a test script to produce e.g. TAP output.

In the former case I would have to reset all initialized global variables to their initial state, which is not always possible. Besides, this would make parallel testing impossible. And there's another problem: a program crash or exit() call could be part of the expected result.

In the latter case (with a script) I would lose the possibility to debug the tested programs.

What we need: run or debug the whole test suite with a single button even this means launching multiple processes; have a pretty colored test results in the test view like today; breakpoints should work even if multiple processes are launched.

The TAP protocol cannot fulfill the need. It's too weak, its documentation is ambiguous. I'm not familiar with Google or QT runners. Are they anything close to what I described above? Can they, for example, instruct the IDE to launch the debugger?

[Updated on: Tue, 03 April 2018 11:16]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:RE: Linux, C/C++ IDE, and JRE
Next Topic:can anyone good with eclipse look at my console error? There was no error before and no error in com
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 01:04:32 GMT 2024