Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » SWTBot » SWTBot and E4 RCP Applications - Status?(How to combine E4 RCP Applications and SWTBot for GUI testing?)
SWTBot and E4 RCP Applications - Status? [message #1784667] Sun, 01 April 2018 18:10 Go to next message
Robert Hilbrich is currently offline Robert HilbrichFriend

For my E4 RCP application, I am trying to add ui tests in addition to my functional tests - but I have trouble getting the setup right. I am using Eclipse Oxygen.3 (4.7.3) on OSX High Sierra and SWTBot 2.6.0.201706141832.

I followed the explanations from Lars Vogel [1] to create a plugin for my tests and create a minimal test. I also followed his instructions to create a launch configuration. In order to have at least a launch, I had to add org.eclipse.equinox.launcher as a dependency to my MANIFEST.MF.

My applications opens up, but it does not seem to reach the test, because in the console view, I get a lot of error messages (see attachment).

Could you please give me a pointer to some information on the current status of SWTBot and E4. How do I get this combination working?

My code is entirely public. The entire application is available here [2]. The plugin with the SWTbot tests is here [3]. You can also find the launch configuration in [3].

Thanks a lot for your time,
Robert

[1]: vogella.com / tutorials / SWTBot / article.html - Section 6

[2]: github: roberthilbrich / assist-public

[3]: github: roberthilbrich / assist-public / tree / master / ch.hilbri.assist.gui.tests
  • Attachment: console.log
    (Size: 8.66KB, Downloaded 16 times)
Re: SWTBot and E4 RCP Applications - Status? [message #1784766 is a reply to message #1784667] Tue, 03 April 2018 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian de Alwis is currently offline Brian de AlwisFriend

Quote:

***WARNING: Display must be created on main thread due to Cocoa restrictions.

You need to launch your JVM with `-XstartOnFirstThread`. You put this in the VM Arguments section on the Arguments tab of your launch configuration. Since Oxygen (I think), launch configurations have a new option in the Arguments tab to automatically pass this flag when launching with SWT.

Brian.

Eclipse Platform committer. Ask me about Eclipse support, training, and consulting.
Re: SWTBot and E4 RCP Applications - Status? [message #1784767 is a reply to message #1784766] Tue, 03 April 2018 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Yes, this option is enabled. I also added the option the vm arguments - but unfortunately, there is no change. I attached the launcher file (see below).

My feeling is, that there is something happening with junit - maybe some version incompatibility?! I enabled *all* plugins from my eclipse installation (target plugins). Could it be, that is picking up on another junit in my oxygen installation?

Best,

Robert

Launcher:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<launchConfiguration type="org.eclipse.pde.ui.JunitLaunchConfig">
<booleanAttribute key="append.args" value="true"/>
<booleanAttribute key="askclear" value="false"/>
<booleanAttribute key="automaticAdd" value="true"/>
<booleanAttribute key="automaticValidate" value="true"/>
<stringAttribute key="bootstrap" value=""/>
<stringAttribute key="checked" value="[NONE]"/>
<booleanAttribute key="clearConfig" value="true"/>
<booleanAttribute key="clearws" value="true"/>
<booleanAttribute key="clearwslog" value="false"/>
<stringAttribute key="configLocation" value="${workspace_loc}/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/pde-junit"/>
<booleanAttribute key="default" value="true"/>
<booleanAttribute key="includeOptional" value="true"/>
<stringAttribute key="location" value="${workspace_loc}/../junit-workspace"/>
<listAttribute key="org.eclipse.debug.core.MAPPED_RESOURCE_PATHS">
<listEntry value="/ch.hilbri.assist.gui.tests/src/ch/hilbri/assist/gui/tests/SimpleTests.java"/>
</listAttribute>
<listAttribute key="org.eclipse.debug.core.MAPPED_RESOURCE_TYPES">
<listEntry value="1"/>
</listAttribute>
<stringAttribute key="org.eclipse.jdt.junit.CONTAINER" value=""/>
<booleanAttribute key="org.eclipse.jdt.junit.KEEPRUNNING_ATTR" value="false"/>
<stringAttribute key="org.eclipse.jdt.junit.TESTNAME" value=""/>
<stringAttribute key="org.eclipse.jdt.junit.TEST_KIND" value="org.eclipse.jdt.junit.loader.junit4"/>
<booleanAttribute key="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.ATTR_USE_START_ON_FIRST_THREAD" value="true"/>
<stringAttribute key="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JRE_CONTAINER" value="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JRE_CONTAINER/org.eclipse.jdt.internal.debug.ui.launcher.StandardVMType/JavaSE-1.8"/>
<stringAttribute key="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.MAIN_TYPE" value="ch.hilbri.assist.gui.tests.SimpleTests"/>
<stringAttribute key="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.PROGRAM_ARGUMENTS" value="-os ${target.os} -ws ${target.ws} -arch ${target.arch} -nl ${target.nl} -consoleLog"/>
<stringAttribute key="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.PROJECT_ATTR" value="ch.hilbri.assist.gui.tests"/>
<stringAttribute key="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.SOURCE_PATH_PROVIDER" value="org.eclipse.pde.ui.workbenchClasspathProvider"/>
<stringAttribute key="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.VM_ARGUMENTS" value="-ea -XstartOnFirstThread"/>
<stringAttribute key="pde.version" value="3.3"/>
<stringAttribute key="product" value="ch.hilbri.assist.gui.product"/>
<booleanAttribute key="run_in_ui_thread" value="false"/>
<booleanAttribute key="show_selected_only" value="false"/>
<booleanAttribute key="tracing" value="false"/>
<booleanAttribute key="useCustomFeatures" value="false"/>
<booleanAttribute key="useDefaultConfig" value="true"/>
<booleanAttribute key="useDefaultConfigArea" value="false"/>
<booleanAttribute key="useProduct" value="true"/>
</launchConfiguration>

Re: SWTBot and E4 RCP Applications - Status? [message #1784829 is a reply to message #1784767] Wed, 04 April 2018 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

So I checked out your project and was able to run the simple tests -- I saw a workbench open up, and then disappear. The Mylyn CommonColors exception is bug 529862 but is unrelated to your problem.

From the JUnit4TestLoader class-cast exception, my guess is that your IDE has multiple versions of several bundles available, and some incompatible versions are being wired up.
Exception in thread "Plug-in Tests Runner" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Error: test loader org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit4.runner.JUnit4TestLoader not found:
java.lang.ClassCastException: org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit4.runner.JUnit4TestLoader cannot be cast to org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.ITestLoader
	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.createRawTestLoader(RemoteTestRunner.java:367)

My suggestion would be to create a Target Definition and explicitly select your dependencies. That should provide a bit more control and help avoid having multiple versions of bundles. That will also help other developers who seek to contribute to developing your tools.

Brian.

Eclipse Platform committer. Ask me about Eclipse support, training, and consulting.
Re: SWTBot and E4 RCP Applications - Status? [message #1784852 is a reply to message #1784829] Wed, 04 April 2018 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks for the tip with the target definition. I followed your recommendation and added a target definition to my projects (and POM files) - see [1]. This greatly reduced the size of the log (see [2]). But unfortunately, the casting error remains. Furthermore, I do not believe, that the tests are actually running, because:
1. The "Junit Test View" does not report that any test has run
2. This dummy test [3] does not fail - but it should.

What could I try next?

[1]: https://github.com/RobertHilbrich/assist-public/blob/master/ch.hilbri.assist.releng.product.gui.target/ch.hilbri.assist.releng.product.gui.target

[2]:
!SESSION 2018-04-04 21:55:37.136 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.8.0_131
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=de_DE
Framework arguments:  -version 3 -port 51786 -testLoaderClass org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit4.runner.JUnit4TestLoader -loaderpluginname org.eclipse.jdt.junit4.runtime -classNames ch.hilbri.assist.gui.tests.SimpleTests -application org.eclipse.pde.junit.runtime.nonuithreadtestapplication -product ch.hilbri.assist.gui.product -testpluginname ch.hilbri.assist.gui
Command-line arguments:  -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -consoleLog -version 3 -port 51786 -testLoaderClass org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit4.runner.JUnit4TestLoader -loaderpluginname org.eclipse.jdt.junit4.runtime -classNames ch.hilbri.assist.gui.tests.SimpleTests -application org.eclipse.pde.junit.runtime.nonuithreadtestapplication -product ch.hilbri.assist.gui.product -data /Users/robert/Eclipse-Workspaces/ASSIST-Public-Oxygen/../junit-workspace -dev file:/Users/robert/Eclipse-Workspaces/ASSIST-Public-Oxygen/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/pde-junit/dev.properties -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -consoleLog -testpluginname ch.hilbri.assist.gui

!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 2 0 2018-04-04 21:55:39.474
!MESSAGE No binding context exists for org.eclipse.ui.contexts.dialog
Exception in thread "Plug-in Tests Runner" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Error: test loader org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit4.runner.JUnit4TestLoader not found:
java.lang.ClassCastException: org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit4.runner.JUnit4TestLoader cannot be cast to org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.ITestLoader
	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.createRawTestLoader(RemoteTestRunner.java:367)
	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.createLoader(RemoteTestRunner.java:362)
	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.defaultInit(RemoteTestRunner.java:306)
	at org.eclipse.pde.internal.junit.runtime.RemotePluginTestRunner.init(RemotePluginTestRunner.java:244)
	at org.eclipse.pde.internal.junit.runtime.RemotePluginTestRunner.main(RemotePluginTestRunner.java:174)
	at org.eclipse.pde.internal.junit.runtime.PlatformUITestHarness.lambda$0(PlatformUITestHarness.java:43)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.createRawTestLoader(RemoteTestRunner.java:372)
	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.createLoader(RemoteTestRunner.java:362)
	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.defaultInit(RemoteTestRunner.java:306)
	at org.eclipse.pde.internal.junit.runtime.RemotePluginTestRunner.init(RemotePluginTestRunner.java:244)
	at org.eclipse.pde.internal.junit.runtime.RemotePluginTestRunner.main(RemotePluginTestRunner.java:174)
	at org.eclipse.pde.internal.junit.runtime.PlatformUITestHarness.lambda$0(PlatformUITestHarness.java:43)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

[3]:

@Test
    public void executeExit() {
        SWTBotMenu fileMenu = bot.menu("Filejhsdfbjhsdbfdsjhbdfjhbfdjh");
        Assert.assertNotNull(fileMenu);
    }
Re: SWTBot and E4 RCP Applications - Status? [message #1784872 is a reply to message #1784852] Thu, 05 April 2018 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

All I can say is that the tests work for me. Does it help to use a fresh workspace?

Re: SWTBot and E4 RCP Applications - Status? [message #1784891 is a reply to message #1784872] Thu, 05 April 2018 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I works now - thank you! I think my launcher was not properly configured. I restarted the test without a launcher - "Run As" --> "SWTBot Test" and now it works.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Robert
Re: SWTBot and E4 RCP Applications - Status? [message #1784901 is a reply to message #1784891] Thu, 05 April 2018 12:54 Go to previous message

Huh, I was using your JUnit Plugin Test and it was fine. But that's good to hear.

Previous Topic:Run SWTBot test in Headless mode. RCP application is not started
Next Topic:SWTBot tests do not work with maven, but with Eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 23 04:35:40 GMT 2018