Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Editor vanished, can't get it back.
Editor vanished, can't get it back. [message #1782952] Mon, 05 March 2018 14:49 Go to next message
Beau Gavigan is currently offline Beau GaviganFriend
So, I'm watching a tutorial on learning C++, and of course the whole "Hello World" tutorial. I accidentally clicked on the "X" and closed the editor (where you type in the code; whatever it's called). No matter what I do, I can NOT get it to reappear. I've tried rebooting my PC, I'm tried reinstalling Eclipse, I've spent almost 2 hours skimming through Google looking for answers. I'm tried resetting perspective, I've tried hitting CTRL+W, the option for "New Editor" is grayed out, F12 does absolutely nothing, I've tried starting a new project, etc. This is extremely frustrating. I'm aware I could spend many hours digging through code later to find bugs, but I haven't even got my foot in the door yet and I've already hit a roadblock. This is unreal...
Re: Editor vanished, can't get it back. [message #1782961 is a reply to message #1782952] Mon, 05 March 2018 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Don't panic. You just closed the editor. You can probably reopen the file by dropping
down the file menu and checking it's list of recently opened files. You can also use
the Project Explorer View to look around and find it yourself. Much like in Windows
Explorer, you can open your file from there.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Editor vanished, can't get it back. [message #1784695 is a reply to message #1782961] Mon, 02 April 2018 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Moran is currently offline Patrick MoranFriend
I have had similar problems with Eclipse somehow reconfiguring itself without any intentional acts to achieve those changes being done by myself.

I learned that the easiest way: Go to the window drop down select perspective, go down in that menu to "reset perspective...", and the screen will go back to its original configuration.
Having a button to perform this operation directly available no matter how messed-up the screen gets would make a valuable contribution to my daily frustration level.
Re: Editor vanished, can't get it back. [message #1784697 is a reply to message #1784695] Mon, 02 April 2018 18:24 Go to previous message
Patrick Moran is currently offline Patrick MoranFriend
No Message Body
Previous Topic:Eclipse Neon Keeps Crashing
Next Topic:Please help! Eclipse won't let me use/create a workspace ...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:32:12 GMT 2024