Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Titan » isbound(component_reference) == false in 6.1.0?
isbound(component_reference) == false in 6.1.0? [message #1782113] Sun, 18 February 2018 12:44 Go to next message
Harald Welte is currently offline Harald WelteFriend

I have the feeling that somehow the value of isbound() on a component reference variable is different between TITAN 6.1.0 and 6.3.0.

In 6.1.0, even after assigning a value to a previously-unassigned component reference variable, isbound() still returns false. If I log() the variable, it clearly is assigned, but isbound() still claims false.

In 6.3.0 this is different. Is this a known issue? Is there a known work-around for 6.1.0?

Which brings me to another question: Is there a ChangeLog or release notes that explain the user-visible differences to previous versions when a new version of TITAN is being released? I know there's of course the git log, but that contains too much verbosity and not just the external/user-visible behavior changes.

Thanks in advance.
Re: isbound(component_reference) == false in 6.1.0? [message #1782124 is a reply to message #1782113] Mon, 19 February 2018 09:07 Go to previous message
Elemer Lelik is currently offline Elemer LelikFriend
Hi Harald,

let me start with the second question:

-in https://github.com/eclipse/titan.core/tree/master/usrguide there's a releasenotes.doc which collects a summary of
main changes in each release
-under https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/tools.titan/downloads there's a documentation package which contains the latest documents and a detailed change log relevant for the release (meaning that for 6.3.0 covers changes from 6.2.0 to 6.3.0) ; It is confusingly named Titan_demo_6.3.0.pdf
or something like that;
It should maybe be made part of the release notes, but due to its size it would make that quickly unmanageable; this change log is assembled based on the bugzilla info , but offers a mores structured view.
I have attached the 6.2.0 change log, covering the difference between 6.1.0 and 6.2.0 .

- We only offer support for the last release and the one before (currently 6.3.0 and 6.2.0 ) , meaning that we accept bugs for these releases only ; we try to encourage users to move to latest revisions.

Also, we don't offer corrective releases: if an error is found is an a release say 6.2.0 , it will only be corrected in 6.4.0 earliest , there will be no patched 6.2.0 or 6.3.0 release.

The reason fort the above is simply economical: a more extensive interpretation of the service level agreement would take more resources
than we currently have.

Now, to your first question:

-I could not find the exact commit that fixed the component reference issue with isbound ; there have been some isbound and component reference interventions and hopefully one of them had the implicit side effect you have mentioned.

I can only suggest that you prepare the code for 6.3.0 and migrate to it as soon as possible. I'm sure you are aware of it but migration costs will increase day by day especially if changes are major in newer releases.

As we have our roots in telecom we always try to attenuate the effect of changes even at the cost of introducing e.g. compiler switches to keep legacy behaviour, but this also means that latest features and possibly fixes will not be available.

Best regards
Elemer

Previous Topic:Titan in Docker part 1
Next Topic:Additional info about the usage of the translation ports
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 13:32:47 GMT 2024