|Please help! Eclipse won't let me use/create a workspace ... [message #1781675]
||Mon, 12 February 2018 03:54
| Raoul Castano
Registered: February 2018
I am so new at Eclipse/Java that words like newbie, rookie, and so forth make me feel as if at least I know the basics. I am new as in zero, nada, zilch experience. So, I am stuck at a very basic step: adding a workspace.
I bought this books that promises to teach me Java using Eclipse and Android Studio, but I am off to a very ascetic start. The book assumes things will go as planned when it comes to installing Eclipse, so it does not offer much on the way of troubleshooting help.
My problem is: I want to create a workspace in a folder I created under my C:\ drive (C:\000Pc005temp001\Eclipse\eclipse-workspace), but Eclipse gives me various error messages:
- "specified workspace directory is either invalid or read-only"
- "C:\ ...\eclipse-workspace is in use or cannot be created"
- "C:\ ...\eclipse-workspace\.metadata\.lock (Access is denied)
I want to keep all things (articles, books, etc.) related to my Eclipse/Java learning experience in one place under the C:\000Pc005temp001\Eclipse directory to help me simplify the learning process. It would also help for backup purposes.
Eclipse will only allow me to access a workspace it created by default under my user folder.
I have tried different solutions, like:
- Going under the .metadata directory and deleting a .lock file (which I cannot find).
- Changing my user's permissions to "Full control"
- Changing the attributes of the C:\000Pc005temp001 directory to not be (unchecked) Read-only. Although it always comes back to be Read-only when I go back to check after changing it.
- Running Eclipse as administrator.
I am about to abandon the plans of learning Java from that book using Eclipse. Thank you for any help you would be able to offer me.
[Updated on: Sat, 17 February 2018 04:48]
Report message to a moderator
Powered by FUDForum
. Page generated in 0.03613 seconds