Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Graphiti » Migrating Graphiti Model
Migrating Graphiti Model [message #1781327] Tue, 06 February 2018 06:43 Go to next message
Felix Buehler is currently offline Felix BuehlerFriend
Hi there!

We are using Graphiti with an Ecore-Metamodel. Now that the metamodel evolves (migration here is done with Edapt) the question arises how to deal with metamodel-changes on the graphiti side.
Are there thoughts or even tools for migrating the graphiti model along with the metamodel?

In our current model files the graphiti model and business model are in one file, which is - as I now read - not the way to go. Is there a best practice for that?

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated!

Cheers,
Felix
Re: Migrating Graphiti Model [message #1781364 is a reply to message #1781327] Tue, 06 February 2018 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Wenz is currently offline Michael WenzFriend
Felix,

unfortunately I have to tell you that there is no support by Graphiti for adapting to metamodel changes. This simply depends too much on the type of changes that are done to you metamodel. For sure there is no tools that can handle this.

An idea how to handle that would be to implement this in your update features and let them adapt your shapes with whatever is necessary, or if that becomes too complex that you (programmatically from a migrate action?) remove all shapes from the diagram and re-add them at the original location. In case you have the visual representation separeated in another file you could also leave the old diagram around and create a new version in addition in case that makes sense.

Overall, the recommendation is to have the model objects and the diagram separated into 2 files, as it makes handling easier in several aspects, also one could imagine that you need you domain objects standalone as well (e.g. to generate something out of that information); this could be done then by sharing the file only.

HTH,
Michael
Re: Migrating Graphiti Model [message #1781371 is a reply to message #1781364] Tue, 06 February 2018 14:18 Go to previous message
Felix Buehler is currently offline Felix BuehlerFriend
Hi Michael,

thanks a lot for the hint and advice, I'll take that into account. Of course it would be nice to have sth. like Edapt for Graphiti but clearly that is very complex.
So I may have to specify a custom migration that only runs when migrating from metamodel v1 to v2 or sth. similar.

Thanks a lot and have a good day!

Cheers,
Felix
Previous Topic:Graphiti and RAP
Next Topic:Create after drop from external viewer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:15:19 GMT 2024