Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Why do certain dot files keep disappearing?
Why do certain dot files keep disappearing? [message #1780372] Sun, 21 January 2018 19:43 Go to next message
Andrew DeFaria is currently offline Andrew DeFariaFriend
I have one Eclipse Workspace with a number of projects in the workspace. Occasionally (actually pretty frequently lately) I am unable to do Open Project for some of the projects. Looking deeper I see that my .project file has disappeared. This happens only to some of my projects. Interestingly I believe only the projects that I have that I point into my ~/Dropbox folder. They're in there because I share the files with others through Dropbox but I still do development on them.

And this is not the only dot file that disappears. My .gitignore goes away and .pyproject goes away too. After this happened a few times I actually stored these files (.project, .gitignore and .pyproject) in the .git directory thinking they'd be safe there and if this happens again I could easily copy them back but they disappeared too!

Is this something Eclipse does or perhaps is it Dropbox who is deleting these files? I don't see why Dropbox would care.
Re: Why do certain dot files keep disappearing? [message #1780375 is a reply to message #1780372] Sun, 21 January 2018 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrey Sotnikov is currently offline Andrey SotnikovFriend
Are you using Windows, Mac or Linux? In Windows, to find out the culprit, you can right-click a folder, choose properties and in the security settings set an audit for a file deletion by Everyone. Then you can check the Event Viewer and you will see the name of the process that deleted the file.
Re: Why do certain dot files keep disappearing? [message #1843565 is a reply to message #1780375] Sat, 07 August 2021 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew DeFaria is currently offline Andrew DeFariaFriend
I use Linux
Re: Why do certain dot files keep disappearing? [message #1843568 is a reply to message #1843565] Sat, 07 August 2021 06:27 Go to previous message
David VavraFriend
How are you getting them into Dropbox?

• If you are putting them in the Dropbox with cp that won't copy hidden files (those starting with '.')
    Use rsync instead.
  • If you are dragging and dropping from a File Manager make sure hidden files are visible

[Updated on: Sat, 07 August 2021 07:17]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:incorrect worck eclipse ide c++
Next Topic:hack project source location
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 18 21:46:15 GMT 2024