Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » gef5 SimpleMindMapApplication with virtual nodes(what are the techniques for virtual offscreen nodes)
gef5 SimpleMindMapApplication with virtual nodes [message #1779679] Thu, 11 January 2018 06:07 Go to next message
Jay Norwood is currently offline Jay NorwoodFriend
I built the gef5 javafx SimpleMindMapApplication example. Moving the root node seemed reasonably fast with the initial 5 child nodes. I checked out the response with increasing child node counts ... first 50, then 150 and so on. Dragging the root node was noticeably worse at each increase. I'm guessing the layout for the connections and the storage of undo info all contribute.

i'm familiar with the virtual node and lazy content capabilities supported in some jface tree viewers, but haven't yet seen anything like that in the gef examples. Does that exist? Has someone explored issues for handling larger numbers of nodes?
Thanks,
Jay
Re: gef5 SimpleMindMapApplication with virtual nodes [message #1779717 is a reply to message #1779679] Thu, 11 January 2018 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay Norwood is currently offline Jay NorwoodFriend
I found a possible solution using a javafx Flowless layout, in github.com/FXMisc
It was mentioned here: comp.qenherkhopeshef.org/java/javafx/veryLargeComponent
Re: gef5 SimpleMindMapApplication with virtual nodes [message #1785406 is a reply to message #1779717] Fri, 13 April 2018 13:51 Go to previous message
Matthias Wienand is currently offline Matthias WienandFriend
Hi Jay,

I did not yet take a look at the lazy content capabilities. However, you have some other options for improving performance:

1) move processing work to background threads
2) use cacheing for your renderings
3) keep impact of updates as small/local as possible

However, I will also take a look at the veryLargeComponent that you are referring to. Thank you for the hint.

h2h
Matthias
Previous Topic:GEF5 export to SVG
Next Topic:Drawing Graph on top of background image
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 18:34:56 GMT 2024