Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Sirius » Can Sirius work with the new version of GEF
Can Sirius work with the new version of GEF [message #1779439] Mon, 08 January 2018 03:09 Go to next message
mind calm is currently offline mind calmFriend
Hi,

Recently, i am analyzing the performance of Sirius with a large model, my tests including opening diagram and editing diagram.

I found my Sirius (version 4.1.3) depends on GEF 3.X (including draw2d). When i use JVM to simpling the CPU, i found the most time-consumption part is in gef and draw2d, I don't know is it the performance problem of GEF 3.X or Sirius.
But the GEF 3.X is in 'pure maintenance' mode, the new version of GEF from GEF4 did not include draw2d project. As shown in: https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/tools.gef

My question is can Sirius work with the new version of GEF? or from which version of Sirius can work with the new version of GEF?

Best regards!

by Keep Mind Calm
Re: Can Sirius work with the new version of GEF [message #1779450 is a reply to message #1779439] Mon, 08 January 2018 08:58 Go to previous message
Pierre-Charles David is currently offline Pierre-Charles DavidFriend
Hi,

While they share the same name, GEF 4.x and later are actually completely new frameworks which do not share any code with GEF 3.x. Sirius itself depends on GMF Runtime, which itself is tied to GEF 3. Moving to a newer GEF version would basically mean re-implementing almost from scratch the Sirius diagram dialect *and* porting GMF Runtime to GEF 4+ too. This would be a very, very large and risky effort, and there's no plan right now to make this particular move. We're aware of the issues with older GEF/GMF Runtime versions (notably performance), and we'll probably move away from them at some point, but when this will happen and which new diagram rendering technology we'll choose is not decided yet.

Regards,

Pierre-Charles David - Obeo

Need training or professional services for Sirius?
http://www.obeodesigner.com/sirius
Previous Topic:Duplication memory in Sirius, GMF or EMF?
Next Topic:Trouble With Element Based Edges
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:54:55 GMT 2024