Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » macOS High Sierra installation - hitting roadblock(Trouble finding correct JVM for Eclipse installation under macOS High Sierra)
macOS High Sierra installation - hitting roadblock [message #1779379] Fri, 05 January 2018 18:48 Go to next message
Matt Isaacson is currently offline Matt IsaacsonFriend
Hi all, I'm trying to get up and running with Eclipse under macOS 10.13.1 / High Sierra and I'm getting the complete runaround with the Java part.

I first got the message "To open 'Eclipse" you need to install the legacy Java SE 6 runtime." I clicked "More info...", which took me to the Oracle legacy Java SE 6 download website, and I installed the software I downloaded from there.

Next I got the message "Version 1.6.0_65 of the JVM is not suitable for this product. Version 1.8 or greater is required." I've hunted around a bit but I have had no success finding this and in fact I have no idea if I'd even recognize it if I found it, since I have very little knowledge of Java. Among other things, I don't know how to determine which version of JRE is running on my computer. I tried just downloading and installing Java 8 (specifically, jre-8u151-macosx-x64.dmg), but this didn't change anything.

Can anyone help?

A separate question: I'm trying to get set up with the IDE for C/C++ development. A colleague recommended Oxygen. I'm not sure if I'm even trying to install the right package. I've downloaded and installed both eclipse-cpp-oxygen-2-macosx-cocoa-x86_64.dmg and eclipse-inst-mac64.tar.gz, but with both, I don't get beyond the Java version issue. Can anyone guide me here?

P.S. I can't resist grumbling a bit: If Eclipse is based on an unsupported legacy runtime, shouldn't that just be included as part of the installation?

Best regards,
Matt
Re: macOS High Sierra installation - hitting roadblock [message #1779381 is a reply to message #1779379] Fri, 05 January 2018 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Please see the sticky post https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/198527/ .

Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: macOS High Sierra installation - hitting roadblock [message #1779383 is a reply to message #1779381] Fri, 05 January 2018 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt Isaacson is currently offline Matt IsaacsonFriend
Nitin, thanks. Do you know whether I need to take any steps to eliminate the legacy runtime first, and if so, can you describe the steps?
Re: macOS High Sierra installation - hitting roadblock [message #1779386 is a reply to message #1779383] Fri, 05 January 2018 20:57 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

I do not know, but I've only generally deleted the files from disk. /usr/libexec/java_home will be able to tell you where that is.

Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Previous Topic:Eclipse Oxygen - Error Message "The application "Eclipse" cannot be opened
Next Topic:Nonetype object is not iterable
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Feb 20 23:47:32 GMT 2018