Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » macOS High Sierra installation - hitting roadblock(Trouble finding correct JVM for Eclipse installation under macOS High Sierra)
macOS High Sierra installation - hitting roadblock [message #1779379] Fri, 05 January 2018 18:48 Go to next message
Matt Isaacson is currently offline Matt IsaacsonFriend
Hi all, I'm trying to get up and running with Eclipse under macOS 10.13.1 / High Sierra and I'm getting the complete runaround with the Java part.

I first got the message "To open 'Eclipse" you need to install the legacy Java SE 6 runtime." I clicked "More info...", which took me to the Oracle legacy Java SE 6 download website, and I installed the software I downloaded from there.

Next I got the message "Version 1.6.0_65 of the JVM is not suitable for this product. Version 1.8 or greater is required." I've hunted around a bit but I have had no success finding this and in fact I have no idea if I'd even recognize it if I found it, since I have very little knowledge of Java. Among other things, I don't know how to determine which version of JRE is running on my computer. I tried just downloading and installing Java 8 (specifically, jre-8u151-macosx-x64.dmg), but this didn't change anything.

Can anyone help?

A separate question: I'm trying to get set up with the IDE for C/C++ development. A colleague recommended Oxygen. I'm not sure if I'm even trying to install the right package. I've downloaded and installed both eclipse-cpp-oxygen-2-macosx-cocoa-x86_64.dmg and eclipse-inst-mac64.tar.gz, but with both, I don't get beyond the Java version issue. Can anyone guide me here?

P.S. I can't resist grumbling a bit: If Eclipse is based on an unsupported legacy runtime, shouldn't that just be included as part of the installation?

Best regards,
Matt
Re: macOS High Sierra installation - hitting roadblock [message #1779381 is a reply to message #1779379] Fri, 05 January 2018 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Please see the sticky post https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/198527/ .

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: macOS High Sierra installation - hitting roadblock [message #1779383 is a reply to message #1779381] Fri, 05 January 2018 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt Isaacson is currently offline Matt IsaacsonFriend
Nitin, thanks. Do you know whether I need to take any steps to eliminate the legacy runtime first, and if so, can you describe the steps?
Re: macOS High Sierra installation - hitting roadblock [message #1779386 is a reply to message #1779383] Fri, 05 January 2018 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

I do not know, but I've only generally deleted the files from disk. /usr/libexec/java_home will be able to tell you where that is.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: macOS High Sierra installation - hitting roadblock [message #1807384 is a reply to message #1779386] Wed, 29 May 2019 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Randy Bonnette is currently offline Randy BonnetteFriend
I've still Eclipse 4.7 and want to upgrade to Eclipse 4.11 asap. I already tried multiple downloads ( always with the same result) of Java and Eclipse and multiple restarts. The Java installer seems to "install" Java but I simply can't find the file path to it. What else should I check? Perhaps, the issue may be with the Java SE Development Kit?
Re: macOS High Sierra installation - hitting roadblock [message #1807415 is a reply to message #1807384] Wed, 29 May 2019 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I'm confused by your problem description. You used the installer and that worked? But you didn't pay attention to the location to which you installed it so afterwards you can't find it? The installer won't run because you don't have the required version of Java? You've installed an actual Java 8 JDK (not a JRE) and something (the installer?) still doesn't work?

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: macOS High Sierra installation - hitting roadblock [message #1807451 is a reply to message #1807415] Thu, 30 May 2019 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Randy Bonnette is currently offline Randy BonnetteFriend
Ed Merks wrote on Wed, 29 May 2019 12:07

I'm confused by your problem description. You used the installer and that worked? But you didn't pay attention to write my paper and the location to which you installed it so afterwards you can't find it? The installer won't run because you don't have the required version of Java? You've installed an actual Java 8 JDK (not a JRE) and something (the installer?) still doesn't work?

It must be sounding odd enough, but yeah, I've installed Java 8 JRE... I'm not a digital guy, and everything seems too complicated to me..
Re: macOS High Sierra installation - hitting roadblock [message #1807459 is a reply to message #1807451] Thu, 30 May 2019 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
You really didn't answer any of my questions and note that I explicitly said install a JDK, not a JRE, and now you tell me you've installed a JRE. Hmmm, what can I say. Note also, you need to move/copy the application from the mounted DMG in order to run it, but it's totally unclear how far you got or what exactly is failing.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: macOS High Sierra installation - hitting roadblock [message #1809450 is a reply to message #1807451] Tue, 16 July 2019 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex Gambler is currently offline Alex GamblerFriend
Randy Bonnette wrote on Thu, 30 May 2019 11:58

I'm confused by your problem description. You used the installer and that worked? But you didn't pay attention to link and the location to which you installed it so afterwards you can't find it? The installer won't run because you don't have the required version of Java? You've installed an actual Java 8 JDK (not a JRE) and something (the installer?) still doesn't work?

It must be sounding odd enough, but yeah eduloh, I've installed Java 8 JRE... I'm not a digital guy, and everything seems too complicated to me..

Yeah, it sounds really strange, you would better just to do exactly like Ed Merks have advised.

[Updated on: Sat, 28 March 2020 16:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: macOS High Sierra installation - hitting roadblock [message #1818803 is a reply to message #1809450] Sun, 29 December 2019 13:53 Go to previous message
Craig Epstein is currently offline Craig EpsteinFriend
Alex Gambler wrote on Tue, 16 July 2019 10:44
Randy Bonnette wrote on Thu, 30 May 2019 11:58

I'm confused by your problem description. You used the installer and that worked? But you didn't pay attention to and the location to which you installed it so afterwards you can't find it? The installer won't run because you don't have the required version of Java? You've installed an actual Java 8 JDK (not a JRE) and something (the installer?) still doesn't work?

It must be sounding odd enough, but yeah, I've installed Java 8 JRE... I'm not a digital guy, and everything seems too complicated to me..

Yeah, it sounds really strange, you would better just to do exactly like Ed Merks have advised.

Totally agree with you.
Previous Topic:Eclipse Preferences Issue
Next Topic:Saving export filename per project?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 09:52:09 GMT 2024