Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Containment Link Use in Package Diagram(Cannot use containment link for multiple packages belonging to a package, within package diagram)
Containment Link Use in Package Diagram [message #1779115] Tue, 02 January 2018 22:50 Go to next message
Gary Hendrick is currently offline Gary HendrickFriend
I am attempting to model a package diagram in Papyrus. That diagram should include a package, which itself is the parent of several other packages. I cannot make a "containment link" link to more than one package. For each link, a new containment link icon is dropped on the edge of the parent, however I believe that it is legal UML to have a "containment link" point out from a package toward multiple package children, e.g. to model a one-to-many containment relationship. It is possible that I'm wrong about the legality of this relationship, or about the failure of the tool, but I simply cannot find the mechanism to do this right.
Your help is appreciated.
Regards,
Gary
Re: Containment Link Use in Package Diagram [message #1779193 is a reply to message #1779115] Wed, 03 January 2018 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
Works perfectly on my installation. Even the package hierarchy is correctly build.
I attached a screenshot.

index.php/fa/31720/0/

/pica
Re: Containment Link Use in Package Diagram [message #1779197 is a reply to message #1779193] Wed, 03 January 2018 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carsten,
Thanks, I was hoping to branch a single link. I see now that I may be concerned about a cosmetic issue. I am able to create a package hierarchy, as shown in your screenshot, with multiple containment links. However, I am unable to recreate the attached screenshot from http://blog.ricksteiner.net/?cat=3
in that screenshot, on the right hand side of the package diagram, a single containment link is branched out from the "Cameras" package to connect to multiple child packages.

http://blog.ricksteiner.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/8.pkg_.png

It looks cleaner to me, and so if it is possible, I'd like to achieve this. Any thoughts ?
Cheers,
Gary
Re: Containment Link Use in Package Diagram [message #1779205 is a reply to message #1779197] Wed, 03 January 2018 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Rivet is currently offline Charles RivetFriend

Hi Gary,

You should be able to get a similar diagram by changing the "kind" of the three containment connectors to "Tree style Routing". This can be done by using the 11th tool in the toolbar ( it looks like a right-pointing arrow followed by a down-pointing triangle).
You will then likely have to adjust the result so that the lines are where you want them.

/Charles

/Charles Rivet
Re: Containment Link Use in Package Diagram [message #1779791 is a reply to message #1779205] Fri, 12 January 2018 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It turns out that that works. Thanks for the advice. What you can do is to use containment links, adding multiples, as shown in the first attached file and as Charles recommended, set them up as "Tree style Routing".
index.php/fa/31790/0/

Then drag their heads together
index.php/fa/31791/0/

and finally, their lines.
index.php/fa/31792/0/
All three steps are indicated in the attached.

This is a bit of a clumsy work flow, and it would be great if they could be merge to simply the act of moving and re-arranging elements.

However, it does achieve the desired result.
Re: Containment Link Use in Package Diagram [message #1779797 is a reply to message #1779791] Fri, 12 January 2018 19:21 Go to previous message
Charles Rivet is currently offline Charles RivetFriend

Gary Hendrick wrote on Fri, 12 January 2018 11:41

This is a bit of a clumsy work flow, and it would be great if they could be merge to simply the act of moving and re-arranging elements.

However, it does achieve the desired result.

Thanks for the feedback.

I would suggest you write a bug against Papyrus to keep track of this. You can do so by following: this link

/Charles Rivet
Previous Topic:Java Reverse Engineering
Next Topic:[Parametric diagram] Adding values to parts or references
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 17:31:39 GMT 2024