Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » MINGW_HOME Relative Path (code cannot be debugged)(Not able to debug C project in Eclipse when the Absolute Path of MINGW is replaced with its relative Path)
MINGW_HOME Relative Path (code cannot be debugged) [message #1777561] Thu, 30 November 2017 10:48 Go to next message
Colette  Mongu is currently offline Colette MonguFriend
Hello

I am not able to debug C project in Eclipse when the Absolute Path of MINGW is replaced with its relative Path.
Using he Absolute Path works perfectly, but when it is replaced with the relative path, the project builds and runs with a warning ( Tolchain "MinGW GCC" ). But I am unable to debug the code. I get the following message when i want to start debugging ( Cannot run program "gdb": Launching failed )
Re: MINGW_HOME Relative Path (code cannot be debugged) [message #1777837 is a reply to message #1777561] Tue, 05 December 2017 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
In my installation there are system variables set called MINGW_HOME and MSYS_HOME.
These are apparently derived from the PATH variable set before Eclipse has started.
In any case, a relative path would have to be relative to the Eclipse working directory
or the current working directory of the program.
It's not clear which.
Perhaps both depending on what is being done.

Why do you want a relative path?

[Updated on: Tue, 05 December 2017 08:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: MINGW_HOME Relative Path (code cannot be debugged) [message #1777840 is a reply to message #1777837] Tue, 05 December 2017 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Colette  Mongu is currently offline Colette MonguFriend
From your explanation, I can se that i did not specify which directory the path should be relative to. I specified it to be relative to the current project working directory. And it works fine.

Instead of "../../../../../path_to_Mingw/mingw"
I now have "${workspace_loc:/Project_Name}/../../../../path_to_Mingw/mingw"

I need to use the realtive path so that when another person opens the project on thier computer, They should be able to access the compiler independent of the computer name.
Re: MINGW_HOME Relative Path (code cannot be debugged) [message #1777843 is a reply to message #1777840] Tue, 05 December 2017 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
Glad you found something that works for you.
It will work for others provided they have MinGW installed in the same location relative to the project as you have
and if the workspace is on the same drive as MinGW.
Re: MINGW_HOME Relative Path (code cannot be debugged) [message #1777844 is a reply to message #1777840] Tue, 05 December 2017 09:16 Go to previous message
David VavraFriend
EDIT: removed duplicate post

[Updated on: Tue, 05 December 2017 09:17]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Where did the "use parallel build" checkbox go?
Next Topic:Argument line problems (for image processing) in Eclipse C++
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 20:57:44 GMT 2024