Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » OCL » Is is possible to install OCL without installing UML?
Is is possible to install OCL without installing UML? [message #1775193] Thu, 26 October 2017 07:22 Go to next message
Erwan Bousse is currently offline Erwan BousseFriend
I would like to set up an Eclipse environment where I have the OCL graphical editor for Ecore models available, but without pulling the dependencies to OCL for UML, and hence the dependencies to UML.

Is there any feature I can install to achieve this? I have tried several ones (such as "OCL Unified: Editors" or "OCL Examples and Editors SDK"), but each time I end up with UML installed.
Re: Is is possible to install OCL without installing UML? [message #1775197 is a reply to message #1775193] Thu, 26 October 2017 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

I presume you mean the OCL textual (Xtext) editor rather than the OCL graphical editor.

UML functionality was deliberately localized in the org.eclipse.ocl.pivot.uml plugin to allow precisely what you describe, but OCL already has too many features so yet more is not a desirable approach.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=358708 is relocated as FIXED.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=376685 is still open pending investigation of a Console issue.

If you install by plugin rather than by feature you should be able to achieve what you want. Perhaps you might create your own feature that trims the standard feature.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Is is possible to install OCL without installing UML? [message #1775199 is a reply to message #1775197] Thu, 26 October 2017 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi!

Sorry yes I meant of course the textual editor :)

So if I understand correctly, there is no hard dependency from a plugin point of view, but there is no feature at the moment that would only install the OCL editor plugins without UML plugins, and it is not planned to have such as feature. Too bad.

Thanks a lot for the quick and clear answer!
Re: Is is possible to install OCL without installing UML? [message #1775202 is a reply to message #1775199] Thu, 26 October 2017 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Currently the 'new' Unified/Pivot OCL with Xtext functionality is 'additional'/'alternative'. Until I stabilize the functionality with more auto-generation from OCL '2.5' specification models, the Classic Ecore/UML OCL remains active but discouraged.

My plan is to get QVTd useful/specified this year (Photon), and then to return to OCL specification models next year (Photon+1).

Once the new OCL is the default OCL, I might well revisit the feature partitioning in terms of minimal and add-on functionalities. Of course once you have 4 different OCL Xtext editors, the proportionate saving from omitting UML is not that great. There is however a useful run-time saving by avoiding the additional overheads that a UMLIdResolver imposes on a PIvotIdResolver.

You could try just deleting org.eclipse.ocl.pivot.uml from your plugins folder.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Is is possible to install OCL without installing UML? [message #1775203 is a reply to message #1775202] Thu, 26 October 2017 08:49 Go to previous message
Sounds great! Looking foward to trying QVTd and the new OCL by default, good luck with all of that!

Yes the gain of removing UML is small, but I was just curious why tycho was pulling UML in our Eclipse app while we do not need it, and then I realized it was because of OCL. But that's fine, I'll keep pulling UML, at least now I know why :)
Previous Topic:OCL generator and EMF super types
Next Topic:Valid OCL constraint - Validation Error in Editor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 01:59:27 GMT 2024