Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Loading .epf file automatically at startup
Loading .epf file automatically at startup [message #1773250] Mon, 25 September 2017 14:17 Go to next message
Francis Vachon is currently offline Francis VachonFriend
Hi there,

So I've gone through the long process of figuring what is what in the endless list of preferences for the UI, behavior of editors etc. Now I have a setup that works pretty well for me. Yeah. Having done all that, I exported my settings (Export, Preferences) into an .epf file so that I never have to go through all that jazz ever again. So far so good.

However, when I import a project that originates from someone else, I guess the defaults preferences that they had when they started the project. So I would like to be able to setup Eclipse to just import AT STARTUP my .epf file so that regardless of what happens, from a known location on my computer, so I always my set of preferences working... Doing it manually is a bit of a pain, especially considering other Eclipse bugs (like the fact that it doesn't delete it's &?$*&?$ .lock file when I close, so I have to do it manually everything already or setup a new .bash script to do it for me, and also the fact that "restart" doesn't actually restart but just shuts down without restarting....)

I came across some mentions of an online preferences setup.... given other bugs on Eclipse I'm not too inclined to trust that option.... e.g. I'm worried it won't be much help if in case I'm working offline....

Any idea?
Re: Loading .epf file automatically at startup [message #1773253 is a reply to message #1773250] Mon, 25 September 2017 15:28 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
All the recent releases have Oomph installed https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Oomph_Authoring so you can do the following. Navigate -> Open Setup -> Open User to open the Setup Editor on your user setup. On the toolbar there is a button "Import Preference" that brings up a dialog that lets you load a *.epf file. It's shows all the preferences in the *.epf file and you can selectively choose which ones you want to import as Preference tasks in your user setup. You can of course select them all. Once they're in your user setup, these preference tasks will automatically apply the preferences to every workspace you ever open with any Eclipse IDE that has Oomph installed (and it's installed in all the Eclipse packages). Of course Oomph as a preference recorder, so you can easily change the preferences in your user setup by recording the changes you make and then those will be consistent across all your workspaces. You can use Help -> Perform Setup Tasks... to apply them in another already-running workspace.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:JPA Query
Next Topic:installing eclipse on macbook air
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 08:31:15 GMT 2024