Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Launch Failed. Binary not found. (Having issues with Eclipse. Can't run a simple "Hello World")
Launch Failed. Binary not found. [message #1771741] Wed, 30 August 2017 05:33 Go to next message
Isaac Dominguez is currently offline Isaac DominguezFriend
Current having issues with Eclipse. I installed eclipse oxygen (32 bit), installed Cygwin and MinGW (Yes I updated the catalog), both compilers are found by Eclipse. I made a new project> Executable > Empty Project (Used both Cygwin GCC and MinGW GCC) > New Source > Built the project > "Run as" > Local C/C++ Applications > "Launch Failed. Binary not found."

As you can see I have two projects, one uses Cygwin GCC along with the Cygwin Parsers. The other uses MinGW GCC with the PE Windows Parser (Tried it with the Cygwin Parser just to see) Still, nothing worked. What am I missing?
Re: Launch Failed. Binary not found. [message #1771909 is a reply to message #1771741] Fri, 01 September 2017 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
Part of the problem is that the build failed to create an executable so it can't be found.
It had an undefined reference to WinMain which is the entry point for a Windows GUI
For some reason, you are trying to build a GUI program instead of a console program.
Not sure why.
If you post the build log there might be some indication.

This may provide some help: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5259714/undefined-reference-to-winmain16

Alternately, try creating the ANSI Hello World project using:
File --> New --> C/C++ Project --> C Managed Build --> Executable --> Hello World ANSI C Project with the MinGW GCC toolchain.
Then compare it to the one you created.

[Updated on: Fri, 01 September 2017 00:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Launch Failed. Binary not found. [message #1829507 is a reply to message #1771741] Mon, 06 July 2020 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clifford Harrington is currently offline Clifford HarringtonFriend
Did you resolve this, I am having a similar problem.
Re: Launch Failed. Binary not found. [message #1829512 is a reply to message #1829507] Mon, 06 July 2020 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isaac Dominguez is currently offline Isaac DominguezFriend
Honestly I forgot because I eventually just used a different environment but I would try to follow the stack overflow link.
Re: Launch Failed. Binary not found. [message #1841492 is a reply to message #1771741] Wed, 19 May 2021 03:42 Go to previous message
Hannah Dasal is currently offline Hannah DasalFriend
I know this is an old post, but i keep having the same problem and I only see the same solutions in every forum. I tried all of it but I still get this problem every once in a while.

I made sure the paths for the compiler is set up, the binary parsers is ticked according to my OS, and I saved and built the program, BUT I still get that error.

I realized that the binary file and debug folder won't build if there are capital letters in the C file name. So, I just USE LOWER-CASE LETTERS FOR THE C FILE NAME and it works all the time.

Hope this helps !
Previous Topic:no Preprocessor Include Paths, Macros etc. available
Next Topic:Can't install cmake4eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 21:43:17 GMT 2024