Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EclipseLink » Strange behaviour on Oracle 12 with escape character
Strange behaviour on Oracle 12 with escape character [message #1771484] Fri, 25 August 2017 13:58 Go to next message
GianMaria Romanato is currently offline GianMaria RomanatoFriend
Hello,

I need help troubleshooting a strange bug. There is an application running on Oracle 12 and Eclipselink 2.5.2 with a simple search screen that uses a LIKE clause and "%" as wildcards.

The application creates the query using criteria builder. A QA tester entered only the "_" underscore character in the search screen. The application does not check which text is passed and just wraps it with the '%' character.

cb.and(conjunction, cb.like(cb.lower(name), new StringBuilder("%").append(escape(param)).append("%").toString()));

At runtime, when the query is executed the following appears in the log:
bind => [%\_%, ACTIVE, IT, 20, 0]

Unexpectedly (at least for me) Eclipselink has decided to escape the "_" char with a leading "\". The database is Oracle 12. I would then expect the resulting query to be suffixed with "ESCAPE '\'" but this is not happening and the query returns nothing because in absence of the escape clause "\_" is processed as if it was the original user search string.

What am I missing?

thanks.

GianMaria.
Re: Strange behaviour on Oracle 12 with escape character [message #1771681 is a reply to message #1771484] Tue, 29 August 2017 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Delahunt is currently offline Chris DelahuntFriend
What is the escape(param) method doing? This is your application method, not one that is apart of the StringBuilder or CriteriaQuery api.
Re: Strange behaviour on Oracle 12 with escape character [message #1771685 is a reply to message #1771681] Tue, 29 August 2017 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GianMaria Romanato is currently offline GianMaria RomanatoFriend
I understand it makes confusion, but in reality nothing special.
I did not write the code myself, the escape() method just calls Apache Commons-Lang StringEscapeUtils.escapeJava() which deals with quotes, tabs and few more. When called with a "_" in input it returns the same "_" in output.
Re: Strange behaviour on Oracle 12 with escape character [message #1771795 is a reply to message #1771685] Wed, 30 August 2017 14:51 Go to previous message
Chris Delahunt is currently offline Chris DelahuntFriend
You would be better off proving it by creating a string variable that you pass to the query, and printing it off before passing it in. You might also try using parameters rather than directly passing it in as a literal:

cb.and(conjunction, cb.like(cb.lower(name), cb.parameter(String.class, "name") ));
query.setParameter("name", yourString);
Previous Topic:Eclipse
Next Topic:Getting hung threads in Eclipselink 2.6.4
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:27:55 GMT 2024