Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » General (non-technical) » Eclipse Foundation » Eclipse the RCP(Looking for literatur)
Eclipse the RCP [message #1771285] Wed, 23 August 2017 16:37 Go to next message
Viktor Paskal is currently offline Viktor PaskalFriend
Hi,

i wanted to ask in the forum if someone here can recommend me literature to learn Eclipse. I want to know the details of how eclipse works as a rich client platfrom.
I want to learn all the details of how the Plugins work, how i can create new plugins and new rich client applications.
Is there any good book or web site to learn all the details of how Eclipse works?

Re: Eclipse the RCP [message #1771308 is a reply to message #1771285] Wed, 23 August 2017 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mickael Istria is currently offline Mickael IstriaFriend

Hi, I really enjoyed the (relatively old but still) very relevant "Contributing to Eclipse" book by Kent Beck and Erich Gamma. Although being quite old and using some deprecated APIs, it perfectly introduce the core design and many workflows and patterns that are still used these days. The deprecated APIs in Eclipse Platform are well documented so it's easy to understand how to turn an out-of-date example from this book to a newer version (and it's actually a good exercise ;). I would consider as a must-read for RCP developers.
Some newer books do also introduce the e4 contribution patterns, which were are newer than the book named above. It's also an important topic for an RCP developer to learn about it. I didn't read any book on this topic, so I cannot recommend one in particular.

HTH
Re: Eclipse the RCP [message #1771392 is a reply to message #1771308] Thu, 24 August 2017 15:43 Go to previous message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Lars Vogel's tutorials are a great resource: http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/eclipse.html
Previous Topic:Issues with the forum
Next Topic:Bug reporting?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 04:04:31 GMT 2024