Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » e(fx)clipse » Isn't it time to create a reference e(fx)clipse project from scratch?(The lack of documentation and complete tutorials is extremely frustrating.)
Isn't it time to create a reference e(fx)clipse project from scratch? [message #1768143] Fri, 14 July 2017 05:37 Go to next message
Marcelo Ruiz is currently offline Marcelo RuizFriend
Hi community,
I am wondering if any of you suffer the lack of information/tutorials/complete examples like I do. I spent more time trying to learn how to develop a serious e(fx)clipse application than to learn Java and get Certified. Seriously. It's absurd!
I watched *all* the videos and read *every* piece of information I found online more than once. There is no full step-by-step example available anywhere. Does anyone feel the same? Wouldn't the small e(fx)clipse community benefit from having a comprehensive example?
Just to be clear, by comprehensive example I mean a video that shows how to develop and test a simple master-detail CRUD application. The video should start with a configured e(fx)clipse IDE but with absolutely no code. The viewer should see all the interaction of the programmer with the IDE. A pre-cooked example where a substantial part of the code is already there and only little changes here and there are required to make the example run does not fit the bill.
The benefit of this approach is that after learning from Tom's blog and other examples, someone could go to single place and understand how all the pieces fit together when developing a real RCP application.
I started this topic so if anyone else believes this is necessary, we could discuss about it and throw ideas about how to implement it. Maybe someone can give (and charge) for an online course like Vogella does?
Please share your thoughts.
Thanks!
Re: Isn't it time to create a reference e(fx)clipse project from scratch? [message #1768487 is a reply to message #1768143] Wed, 19 July 2017 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
The reason I did not reply yet is that I wanted to wait until I can provide news and provide a first starting point for a end-to-end sample but it looks like it will take some more days. So for reference I hear you and I plan to actively address this very problem very soon.
Re: Isn't it time to create a reference e(fx)clipse project from scratch? [message #1768767 is a reply to message #1768487] Sun, 23 July 2017 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you so much for answering me Tom. Please let me know if there is anything I could help you with regarding this.
Re: Isn't it time to create a reference e(fx)clipse project from scratch? [message #1771588 is a reply to message #1768143] Mon, 28 August 2017 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alberto Allvarellos is currently offline Alberto AllvarellosFriend
Hello,

I'm currently trying to port an application to eclipse rcp using e(fx)clipse (my thesis main app) and after several weeks of reading and watching videos I find myself in the same point Marcelo is.
It would be very helpful to have such a resource to start a project.
I would be also glad to help (debugging, testing, etc).

Thanks.
Re: Isn't it time to create a reference e(fx)clipse project from scratch? [message #1771704 is a reply to message #1771588] Tue, 29 August 2017 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Alberto,

Tom published an example here:

https://github.com/BestSolution-at/efxclipse-sample-mvvm

He uses the MVVM (Model-View-ViewModel) pattern in his example. With a few tweaks you could instead use the PMVC (Presentation Model-View-Controller) pattern, and IMHO the effort will regard you when you test the application. For a great overview, you can read Andres Almiray's post here: http://aalmiray.github.io/griffon-patterns/ and even though the post is about the Griffon framework, you would get the idea right away.
Re: Isn't it time to create a reference e(fx)clipse project from scratch? [message #1771839 is a reply to message #1771704] Thu, 31 August 2017 08:43 Go to previous message
Alberto Allvarellos is currently offline Alberto AllvarellosFriend
Thank you very much, Marcelo! I will take a look at it :-)
Previous Topic:Recommended way to add Persistence to an e(fx)clipse application?
Next Topic:Osgi service activated in the JavaFX Application Thread?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 08:22:31 GMT 2024