Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Cross GCC(Making a proper executable)
Cross GCC [message #1767997] Wed, 12 July 2017 15:27 Go to next message
Ryan Thornton is currently offline Ryan ThorntonFriend
I'm using the De0-SoC-nano board from Altera and I would like to compile a simple Hello World on the Nios2 Eclipse and then scp it to the board and run it. However, whenever I build a project the executable made is a .exe and only runs on windows and doesn't have the proper binaries to run on the de0 Linux. What needs to be done to ensure I'm making an executable that will run. I can execute their "my_first_hps" on the board, but my own programs won't work. I've tried editing PATH and the tool chain is on Cross GCC GNU Builder.
Re: Cross GCC [message #1768084 is a reply to message #1767997] Thu, 13 July 2017 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
It sounds like you are using the wrong gcc. Please refer to Intel (Altera is now part of Intel) for help on how to create a Nios 2 project that uses Nios 2's gcc instead of default gcc. (A hint is that mingw/cygwin gcc will almost certainly be the wrong ones)
Re: Cross GCC [message #1768088 is a reply to message #1768084] Thu, 13 July 2017 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ryan Thornton is currently offline Ryan ThorntonFriend
Right, I discovered the mingw being wrong later that afternoon. I've been compiling with the "nios2-elf-gcc" and it is making an executable that appears to be in Linux format; however, the problem is the binaries can't be executed when I try to run it on the board.. Is this a problem between 32 and 64 bit, and if so which nios2 compiler compiles into an executable for the 32 bit armv71?

Thanks,
Ryan
Re: Cross GCC [message #1768154 is a reply to message #1768088] Fri, 14 July 2017 08:25 Go to previous message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
Hi Ryan,

None of the Nios compilers will make arm executables. The Nios compilers will make Nios executables. See http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48797

Jonah

Previous Topic:eclipse reports the indexer error while ctrl+click one variable or method
Next Topic:Eclipse cdt debugging an executable within a shell script
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:29:56 GMT 2024