Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Neon update didn't update Target platform(When target platform is the active platform the PDE target platform is not always updated correctly)
Neon update didn't update Target platform [message #1761230] Tue, 09 May 2017 09:05
Reinier van den Born is currently offline Reinier van den BornFriend
Messages: 1
Registered: May 2017
Junior Member
Hi,

I am new here and also not very used to forums so please bear with me.

After performing an Eclipse update (proved to be Neon.2 to Neon.3) yesterday, my RPC project was broken: missing some plugins (e.g. org.eclipse.swt), not all.

It took me very long to find out eventually that the problem was that the update hadn't correctly updated my PDE target platform (Active system).
This may be due to the maybe somewhat exceptional setup I am using for Eclipse, so let me first describe that:

On Linux I have several users running off same Eclipse installation. To allow each user their own private configuration/preferences etc, the common Eclipse files are all made readonly. The update was performed first on the common Eclipse and then locally (some have extra plugins installed).

I, one of the users, am working on an RPC project. As PDE Target platform I am using "Active". For that development I had to install some plugins, so after the common update I ran a local update as well. Which started missing plugins problem. Oddly all missing plugins were actually present among the common files.

I tried all sorts of things, but eventually realised that it must have something to do with the Target platform. Finally I found out that this Target platform referred to a local folder
$HOME/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_4.6.2_1694318725_linux_gtk_x86_64/
and that a similar folder had been created:
$HOME/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_4.6.3_1694318725_linux_gtk_x86_64/
(note the only difference is the version being upped from 4.6.2 to 4.6.3)
After pointing the Target platform to that new directory the problem disappeared.

Now I write this partly to share my experience and hopefully save others some time, but I am also wondering whether this is really a bug and should be reported, or whether our Eclipse setup is at fault here.

Reinier van den Born
Previous Topic:"Comparison method violates its general contract!" adding new Target Plaform
Next Topic:Jvm canno be found....strange errors
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Sep 24 11:06:27 GMT 2018

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02333 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top