Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Question regarding how eclipse works.(regarding eclipse with java.)
Question regarding how eclipse works. [message #1761198] Mon, 08 May 2017 19:49 Go to next message
Nirel Gurtensten is currently offline Nirel GurtenstenFriend
Hi all,
This is my first post here.

I started learning java and I am using eclipse as my IDE of choice.

I know that usually programming languages can be interpreted, compiled or as java usually is, compiled into byte code.

As far as I know, with interpreted languages the IDE reads a line, convert it into machine code, running it and then passing on to the next line.

My problem is that I understood that eclipse has it's own kind of compiler?

If I write a java file and have jdk installed i can use "javac" to compile it into byte-code and then the run it (and at run time also have the jit to make improvements).

I cant seem to find online how does the program works with eclipse?

Does it like a normal interpreter where it reads a line convert it into machine code and running it? or does it have its own compiler into byte-code? and if so does jit also work with it?

Any help will be appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Nirel
Re: Question regarding how eclipse works. [message #1761283 is a reply to message #1761198] Tue, 09 May 2017 13:31 Go to previous message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Eclipse does have it's own compiler, it does not use the JDK compiler (javac). However, Eclipse's compiler produces standard bytecode that complies with the Java Language Specification (JLS) and JVM Specification, so the compiled code it produces will work on any compliant JVM.
When running or debugging a program, Eclipse uses a JVM that's installed on your machine; it does not "interpret" the code at runtime as you describe. JIT is a function of the runtime JVM, not the compiler; nothing Eclipse's compiler does will prevent that.
Previous Topic:Could not find or load main class X
Next Topic:Eclipse RCP project getting Exception"org.eclipse.e4.core.di.InjectionException: org.eclipse.sw
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 22 15:09:46 GMT 2021