Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Convert to a C/C++ Autotools Project fails without explanation
Convert to a C/C++ Autotools Project fails without explanation [message #1760811] Wed, 03 May 2017 08:40 Go to next message
Linda Huxley is currently offline Linda HuxleyFriend
I'm trying to set up Eclipse to build an autotools project. I'm following instructions that have been provided for the RTEMS operating system. (I'm actually on Ubuntu, running Eclipse Mars CDT in a cross compiler environment.)

The first step in the procedure, "File, New, Makefile Project with Existing Code" appears to work correctly, even though there is no makefile in the target directory. (There are however files like Makefile.am, Makefile.in, etc.)

The second step, "File, New, Convert to a C/C++ Autotools Project" fails with one error, which has the description "***", resource "rtems-git", location "-1", type "Configure Problem". (I looked on Console, and it just says "Build Stopped".)

Is there a log file anywhere that I can access for a more informative description of the problem?
Re: Convert to a C/C++ Autotools Project fails without explanation [message #1761012 is a reply to message #1760811] Fri, 05 May 2017 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
Unless you are modifying the autotools files (the *.am, *.ac and *.in files), the Eclipse autotools project doesn't do much for you.
You only need to build and run the config file once for most projects.

Suggest you do it anyway from a cmd terminal to see if you aren't getting a configure error when building the config and makefile.
I usually run autotools outside of Eclipse as needed.

That said, I think you should import the project as File --> Import... --> C/C++ --> Existing code as Autotools project
or make a new one with File --> New --> C/C++ Project --> GNU Autotools --> ??? whatever
instead of converting to one.

If you are new to autotools, expect a large learning curve.

As for the log, generally the location and name of the log file is specified at
Project --> Properties --> C/C++ Build --> Logging

[Updated on: Fri, 05 May 2017 09:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Convert to a C/C++ Autotools Project fails without explanation [message #1761315 is a reply to message #1760811] Tue, 09 May 2017 16:03 Go to previous message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
Please read the Wikipedia article <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Build_System> to get an overview of the Autotools process.

In principle, autoconf and friends probe the unixish computer they are running on, and generate header files and makefiles to build target code suitable for running on the build environment.

If you're intending to generate a RTEMS run file cross-compiling on your Ubuntu, you may be out of luck for Autotools.

--

-TV

--

Tauno Voipio
Previous Topic:Could you run CDT (v6.0.2) code formatting from command line?
Next Topic:"Ghost" errors in Problems tab
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 25 22:03:59 GMT 2024