Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » project doesn't stop building; language.settings.xml is always updated
project doesn't stop building; language.settings.xml is always updated [message #1759922] Thu, 20 April 2017 01:12
Glenn Burkhardt is currently offline Glenn BurkhardtFriend
Using Eclipse 4.6.2 Neon, Java 8.121, Windows

One of our 6 plugin projects keep building repeatedly and never stopped with "Build Automatically" and "Build on resource save (auto build) enabled.

I was able to trace it to the file ".settings/language.settings.xml". Every time one of the builds completed, the file was updated (timestamp changed), but the content didn't change. I was pointed to that file by the debug trace with an entry in ".options" of "org.eclipse.core.resources/build/needbuild=true".

Some other research and comparison with the other plugins that were working properly lead me to uncheck the "CDT GCC Build Output Parser" under the "Providers" tab in the "Preprocessor Include Paths, Macros, etc." section of "C/C++ General" preferences. That seems to have fixed the problem, and that option is unchecked in the other plugins that stop building after a couple of passes.

I suppose that makes some sense, since the "CDT GCC Build Output Parser" runs after the make processor, and then presumably updates "language.settings.xml" with what it's found.

But this seems like a bug. Is it? Is there some way to exclude the "language.settings.xml" file from the checks for files changed that triggers a build when auto build is enabled?

What exactly is going on here?

..tia

[Updated on: Fri, 28 April 2017 20:55]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:getchar - function could not be resolved
Next Topic:XL C++ Compiler Error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 10:21:07 GMT 2024