Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Papyrus suitable for education/exam?(Non-stand diagram icons - or are they?)
Papyrus suitable for education/exam? [message #1759122] Thu, 06 April 2017 07:39 Go to next message
Jean Kalowski is currently offline Jean KalowskiFriend
Hello,
I'm a student and have used Papyrus a couple of months ago during study, and I'm soon beginning preparation for an exam.

I have now upgraded to the current version and noticed small things like the actor-icon in a use-case diagram not being the standard stickman anymore (which I clearly remember from last year) but some kind of grey silhouette - where my tutor firmly insists that it is not standard and unsuitable for submission in an exam.

I'm was wondering if I'm doing something wrong, but was unable to find any way of configuring this other than replacing it with a selfmade css styling.

Custumizing wouldn't be an issue per se (other than the extra time), but I'm a bit unsure if there are more deviations from the standard in other diagram types that might not be well suited for studying.

I'm glad there's such great free software like Papyrus - don't get me wrong, this question is merely about if I should rely on it for my exam ;)

Re: Papyrus suitable for education/exam? [message #1759151 is a reply to message #1759122] Fri, 07 April 2017 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ri Fr is currently offline Ri FrFriend
Hello

1. Papyrus follows exactly the UML 2.5 standard, so it should be OK for an exam, but I strongly recommend you check with your teacher and / or the people who will do the grading. You can show them screenshots (google for images) to get examples. Papyrus 2.02 has some bugs / annoyances / quirky behaviour that can be a problem (see this interview here: http://modeling-languages.com/francis-bordeleau-on-papyrus-modeling-eclipse/)

2. Alternatively you can download Sparx System Architect 13 for a 30-day free evaluation. Sparx SA is a professional UML tool and gives excellent UML 2.5 graphics. However if you need to use for more than 30 days you need to pay USD 100 for the permanent license (that's super cheap for some people, but expensive for others.......). One good thing about Sparx is that it has excellent documentation and tutorials for everything you can think of.

3. WhiteStarUML has excellent graphics and is a great UML open source tool, but it's UML 1.5 standard! It cannot do UML 2.5. So that may be a show stopper - again check with your teachers. It can be downloaded from SourceForge.

Good luck
Re: Papyrus suitable for education/exam? [message #1759224 is a reply to message #1759151] Fri, 07 April 2017 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jean Kalowski is currently offline Jean KalowskiFriend
Thank you for your suggestion, since I have to use UML2, I'll check Sparx out.

Tbh, I'm a bit confused though how "exactly UML 2.5 standard" does not include the standard defined shapes (otherwise that would be a problem in this case, because I'm expected to adhere to the standard).
Re: Papyrus suitable for education/exam? [message #1759259 is a reply to message #1759224] Sun, 09 April 2017 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ri Fr is currently offline Ri FrFriend
UML 2.5 standard spec from uml.org shows UML actor as stick man, but I think in UML 2.5 actor is a classifier so can be shown with any desired icon.

I don't like the Papyrus 2.x weird human figure either, I hope that next release reverts to commonly used stick man like Papyrus 1.x.
Re: Papyrus suitable for education/exam? [message #1759281 is a reply to message #1759259] Sun, 09 April 2017 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Rivet is currently offline Charles RivetFriend

If this is important, perhaps you should write a bug against Papyrus? And then vote for it?

Another approach could be to use Papyrus's CSS capability to replace the image by one of the stick figure.

/Charles Rivet
Re: Papyrus suitable for education/exam? [message #1759315 is a reply to message #1759281] Mon, 10 April 2017 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benoit Maggi is currently offline Benoit MaggiFriend
Hi,

You may follow this bug for more information:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=515000

Norm:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/attachment.cgi?id=267726

The third ways 18.8 allows to represents Actor with an icon
so it's "normative"

That said, the majority (from internal discussions) seems to prefer stickman rather than te new icon, so we may revert it.

In the meantime, you can use this patch as example to create a custom css with the stick-man as default svg
https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/94736/

Regards,
Benoît
on "bugs / annoyances / quirky behaviour" [message #1759412 is a reply to message #1759151] Tue, 11 April 2017 13:06 Go to previous message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
BTW, I am not aware of any UML/SysML free of "bugs / annoyances / quirky behaviour".

At least I stumbled over "bugs / annoyances / quirky behaviour" using
* Sparx Enterprise Architect (Some 30 -- including a hand full of IMHO major -- bugs I filed with Version 6 are still open.)
* IBM Rational Rhapsody (same installation file, same OS image, same installation procedure, different behavior within editors and different features installed)
* IBM Rational Software Architect (not bad, but far from being free of "bugs / annoyances / quirky behaviour")
* VisualParadigm (feels more like "VisualParadigm's own modeling notation" than UML)
* Modelio (not bad, but also far from being free of "bugs / annoyances / quirky behaviour")

Best regards,
Carsten Pitz

[Updated on: Tue, 11 April 2017 16:23]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Excution model in moka
Next Topic:Block Diagram with System Requirements
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 21 23:30:22 GMT 2024