Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Java Eclipse Apps use Lucida Grande instead of SF (only my Mac)
icon5.gif  Java Eclipse Apps use Lucida Grande instead of SF (only my Mac) [message #1759043] Wed, 05 April 2017 14:04 Go to next message
Lars Beduhn is currently offline Lars BeduhnFriend
Hi there.

I have a question concerning some rather weird behavior.

The company I work for develops some sort of product database software based on Java Eclipse.
One .ini file of the App specifies to use:
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.carbon.smallFonts

I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro that I updated all the way to Sierra (no clean installs).

Now here is the kicker. macOS for me uses the San Fransisco font by default. I haven't messed with this.
I also have a couple colleagues who have a 2014 MBP and a 2013 MBA (if they never did a clean install... the base OS the system was shipped with is newer than with mine...)

For THEM this Eclipse app... uses SF by default... as it should.
Only on my machine... it uses Lucida Grande instead.

I'm not a developer... I did do some research, but couldn't really find anything... or anyone else with this problem. Does anyone here have an idea what might be causing it?

See also the attached screenshots (we modified them to put text next to the actual text of the app... just for comparisons sake)

index.php/fa/28982/0/
index.php/fa/28981/0/
Re: Java Eclipse Apps use Lucida Grande instead of SF (only my Mac) [message #1759484 is a reply to message #1759043] Wed, 12 April 2017 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Update:

As it turns out... it is not just that my computer is affected. It is actualy only MY USER. I created a different user on the same machine... and ... tada... it uses the correct font SF!
Re: Java Eclipse Apps use Lucida Grande instead of SF (only my Mac) [message #1760783 is a reply to message #1759484] Tue, 02 May 2017 21:40 Go to previous message

I eventually found the answer myself. Not what had CAUSED things to be wrong... but at least what HAD been wrong.
Even though my problem is solved I still post the answer to it here... in case someone at some point down the road encounters a similar issue!

I couldn't really find an app that lists the default fonts set for macOS. I'm not a developer, but reading some things I found out that macOS doesn't just have SF or LucidaGrande etc. as ONE standard font... but like an entire CLASS of fonts for different purposes. The problem is... finding a way to LIST all of the currently used fonts.

I finally came across the app MacPilot ( http://www.koingosw.com/products/macpilot/ ) which in its advanced mode (button bottom right) has a "Fonts" section. Here... everything read default, which it should. Except for "System Font" where it read LucidaGrande instead. God knows why.

Even more handily... it lists the correct terminal command that is uses to set things straight. So that you won't have to buy the app in order to get the correct fonts back.

Which is:

$defaults delete NSGlobalDomain NSSystemFont

followed by a restart of the machine or

$killall SystemUIServer

Previous Topic:How to export "built-in" formatter so I can easily compare it to my modified formatter?
Next Topic:Eclipse Neon (Windows 7/10)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 04:44:35 GMT 2024