Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » e(fx)clipse » Disappointed in e(fx)clipse (and Eclipse.(Disappoited is very polite: more correct is (dismaied and) disgusted.)  () 1 Vote
icon8.gif  Disappointed in e(fx)clipse (and Eclipse. [message #1755181] Tue, 28 February 2017 17:36 Go to next message
Jan Stes is currently offline Jan StesFriend
Mad new to java et al. Trying to learn java, javaFX, FXML and SceneBuider.

Started with NetBeans as IDE. Works fine. Saw on some YouTube video's that eclipse seemed to have the better editor. Decided to switch.

Installation of Eclipse Neon.2 was OK. Then found out that std Eclipse does not support FXML projects Crying or Very Sad .

Had to find and install e(fx)clipse. Not easy, Info on the web very confusing. Ended up with installation from "best solutions". But that was NOT the best solution Shocked (older version of eclipse Neon). Had to revert back to blank install and install an "update" for e(fx)clipse. Looked OK, but after a while more searching the web, found that this was not the latest version of e(fx)clipse.. To get the current production version you have to install from the nightly build site... However the info about that is well hidden.

Furthermore, none of the sites around e(fx)clipse are up to date, and they certainly are not congruent. I am truly disappointed in eclipse foundation that they accept such a shambles in one of their projects.

It took me an 10 hour day to work through this. And I still would not have written this entry, if it all worked out in the end.

But it has not worked out at all !!!!!!!

e(f*$à9)clipse does not support re-generation/update of the FMXL controller that you need. It only provides a (template) generation. Which means that the real FMXL-Code integration has to be coded by hand and integrated in that controller each time the GUI changes. That renders, in my view, eclipse totally useless for use with javaFX, FXML and SceneBuider.

Embarrassed Confused Sad Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes AND NETBEANS DOES THIS PERFECTLY!!!!!!! Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad Confused Shocked Mad Embarrassed

I'm going back to NetBeans, despite the slightly more cumbersome editor.
Bye.
Re: Disappointed in e(fx)clipse (and Eclipse. [message #1755366 is a reply to message #1755181] Thu, 02 March 2017 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
Let me start with that I'm sorry that you had such an unpleasant experience with e(fx)clipse but you don't really help with us to improve the situations.

I don't exactly know where we have inaccurate information:
* Our marketplace entry points to the 2.4.0 release
* Our website points to the 2.4.0 release
* The All-In-One Downloads states that it Neon.0 (yes we should update that to Neon.2)
* The fact that a nightly-update-site is hidden has a reason you are not supposed to use it and guess what there hasn't been a single change between the 2.4.0 release and the nightly build!

It looks like you also had problems with our FXML-Editor and the useage of SceneBuilder and yes it looks like your working style might not be best supported by our editor but did you see that:
* all fx:id-Attributes who don't have a matched entry in the controller show a warning?
* all listener slots who don't have matched method in the controller show to an error?

To fix errors and warnings you use what you always use it eclipse you simply hit CTRL+1 and the editor will provide you quick fixes. Did you see that?

I fully understand that you are frustrated but I'd also like to ask for bit more respect for someone like me and BestSolution who do all the work for FREE.
Re: Disappointed in e(fx)clipse (and Eclipse. [message #1759418 is a reply to message #1755366] Tue, 11 April 2017 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Elias Vasylenko is currently offline Elias VasylenkoFriend
To be fair a few places do seem to indicate that 2.5.0 should be released, and it is confusing to then not be able to find this update site anywhere. The nightly just seems to jump to 3.0.0. What is the actual status of 2.5.0?
Re: Disappointed in e(fx)clipse (and Eclipse. [message #1759548 is a reply to message #1759418] Wed, 12 April 2017 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
Well 2.5.0 and soon 2.6.0 are runtime only releases. You are right we should mention them in our release history and explain their purpose.
Re: Disappointed in e(fx)clipse (and Eclipse. [message #1849195 is a reply to message #1759548] Fri, 07 January 2022 04:11 Go to previous message
Arlindo Bento is currently offline Arlindo BentoFriend
This is a really old post but, unfortunately there has been no improvement to the controller issue in eclipse.
Programming in JavaFX with eclipse is extremely painfull due to the lack of a simple function to update the controller with changes made to the fxml by scenebuilder. How hard can it be to add a simple line "Update controller" below the already existing "Generate controller" in e(fx)clipse context menu?
Adding newly inserted nodes and empty methods to be injected would be easy but is extremly painfull and time consuming to copy and paste from Scenebuilder's generate controller.
Previous Topic:openjdk 11, openjfx, eclipse rcp 2018-12
Next Topic:e(fx)clipse 3.7 + eclipse 2020/12 + open jdk 11 : Exception raised
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 04:16:28 GMT 2024