Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Oomph Setup Configuration Model how to
Oomph Setup Configuration Model how to [message #1755154] Tue, 28 February 2017 14:06 Go to next message
Velizar Nenov is currently offline Velizar NenovFriend
Hello,

Could you please provide an example how to use Setup Configuration model. When I start Eclipse Installer in Advanced mode I'm not allowed to drop my Configuration model neither to Products nor Projects wizard tab. My Setup Configuration Model contains Installation and Workspace groups.

My goal is to create a Project configuration and after the installation when I switch to a new workspace I want to be able to apply the same workspace settings - preferences, launch configurations, etc.

Could you please help me to understand?

Regards,
Velizar
Re: Oomph Setup Configuration Model how to [message #1755166 is a reply to message #1755154] Tue, 28 February 2017 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Try to copy the file location of your configuration resource to the clipboard. When activating the installer, a toolbar button should appear before the + toolbar button with hover help "Apply the configuration from the clipboard". Does that button appear? What happens when you click it? It should at least show a problem report if something didn't work. Here is example for configuring the installer to install the Neon committers package and the EMF Core project setup.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<setup:Configuration
    xmi:version="2.0"
    xmlns:xmi="http://www.omg.org/XMI"
    xmlns:setup="http://www.eclipse.org/oomph/setup/1.0">
  <installation
      name="emf.installation"
      label="EMF Installation">
    <productVersion
        href="index:/org.eclipse.setup#//@productCatalogs[name='org.eclipse.products']/@products[name='epp.package.committers']/@versions[name='neon']"/>
    <description>EMF installation provides the environment needed to work with EMF.</description>
  </installation>
  <workspace
      name="emf.workspace"
      label="EMF Workspace">
    <stream
        href="index:/org.eclipse.setup#//@projectCatalogs[name='org.eclipse']/@projects[name='emf']/@projects[name='core']/@streams[name='master']"/>
    <description>EMF workspace provides the workspace supported needed to work with EMF.</description>
  </workspace>
</setup:Configuration>

Note that drag and drop targets the title area of the installer. I assume you have a recent version of recently updated version of the installer...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Oomph Setup Configuration Model how to [message #1755191 is a reply to message #1755166] Tue, 28 February 2017 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Ed,

Thank you for detailed information.

Now it works for me, but actually this is not what I'm looking for.
What I need is to be able to select a Product on the first page, e.g. Eclipse IDE for Javascript and Web Developers and on the second step to add my project settings. However I want to transfer easily my Workspace setiigs in order to switch between workspaces with the same Workspace settings.
Is it possible?

Regards,
Velizar

[Updated on: Tue, 28 February 2017 21:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oomph Setup Configuration Model how to [message #1755205 is a reply to message #1755191] Wed, 01 March 2017 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "project settings" or by "same Workspace settings". Do you have an Oomph project setup to provision a workspace? The Workspace of the Configuration can reference your project setup so that it's automatically added to the appropriate extensible project catalog (based on the Logical project container of the Project setup) and is selected automatically on the Project page. Also, the Workspace itself can directly contain setup tasks, e.g., preference tasks to set preferences. So in your real workspace, you could use Navigate -> Open Setup -> Workspace and in the editor you could use the Capture Preferences toolbar button to create preference tasks based on the current state of the preferences, though generally you'd want to record/capture such things in your Project setup and use the Configuration simply to make appropriate selections in the installer...

Ed Merks
Re: Oomph Setup Configuration Model how to [message #1755237 is a reply to message #1755205] Wed, 01 March 2017 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "project settings" or by "same Workspace settings".
> I have both Project.setup and Configuration.setup (incl. installation and workspace provisioning)

Do you have an Oomph project setup to provision a workspace?
> Yes, I have

The Workspace of the Configuration can reference your project setup so that it's automatically added to the appropriate extensible project catalog (based on the Logical project container of the Project setup) and is selected automatically on the Project page.
> I just linked Product Version in my Installation from my configuration.setup to "Latest Release (Neon) (Eclipse.org - Eclipse IDE for JavaScript and Web Developers)"

Also, the Workspace itself can directly contain setup tasks, e.g., preference tasks to set preferences. So in your real workspace, you could use Navigate -> Open Setup -> Workspace and in the editor you could use the Capture Preferences toolbar button to create preference tasks based on the current state of the preferences, though generally you'd want to record/capture such things in your Project setup and use the Configuration simply to make appropriate selections in the installer...

> What I want to achieve is to provision a new Eclipse installation with Project.setup and/or Configuration.setup with all preferences, launch configurations, etc. (This is done, I managed to do this). However if I switch to a new workspace in this eclipse instance I couldn't import workspace settings - this is what I'm missing.
Re: Oomph Setup Configuration Model how to [message #1755240 is a reply to message #1755237] Wed, 01 March 2017 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you have a Configuration and, in the Installation of that, you've linked the Product Version you want selected, and, in the Workspace of that, you've linked the Project Stream of your Project setup. And that's working, i.e, the Installer is selecting both things automatically and all is good?

Then what you want to be able to do is use that provisioned installation to create/open a brand new workspace, and in that empty new workspace, you again want to provision your Project Stream. You can use File -> Import -> Oomph -> Projects into Workspace. That brings up the wizard on the Project's page. Here you can also apply the Configuration, but of course the Installation part is ignored, because you already have an installation in place.

Did I miss some aspect of what you're trying to do?

Ed Merks
Re: Oomph Setup Configuration Model how to [message #1755940 is a reply to message #1755240] Thu, 09 March 2017 12:56 Go to previous message
Hello Ed,

Thank you for the information provided. I got the idea, however I'm not sure configuration setup works for me. Will use a project setup and a separate setup for some workspace settings.

Regards,
Velizar
Previous Topic:Automatic Remote Index Update
Next Topic:Setting Enum of String Variable
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 11:05:38 GMT 2024