Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Eclipse crashes occasionally with "Eclipse stopped working"
Eclipse crashes occasionally with "Eclipse stopped working" [message #1754760] Wed, 22 February 2017 07:13 Go to next message
Peter J. Kranz is currently offline Peter J. KranzFriend
Hi,

In our team we use Oomph. We have one Product which configures our basic eclipse (neon.2) and two projects: backend in Java and frontend in Javascript. Both projects use the same product but are normally installed to different directories. The directory tree looks like this:

data
 - java
    - eclipse
    - workspace
 - js
    - eclipse
    - workspace

This worked pretty well until I switched from mars to neon.2. After resuming my windows computer both eclipses crash without any error message, I just get this windows dialog with "eclipse stopped working" where I can close the application.

After starting the eclipses it may or may not work. Sometimes I get Strange Exceptions:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java/util/ServiceConfigurationError
	at javax.script.ScriptEngineManager.initEngines(Unknown Source)
	at javax.script.ScriptEngineManager.init(Unknown Source)
	at javax.script.ScriptEngineManager.<init>(Unknown Source)
/*snip*/

or

org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: Plug-in org.eclipse.jdt.ui was unable to load class org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.javaeditor.CompilationUnitEditor.
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.osgi.RegistryStrategyOSGI.throwException(RegistryStrategyOSGI.java:194)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.osgi.RegistryStrategyOSGI.createExecutableExtension(RegistryStrategyOSGI.java:176)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ExtensionRegistry.createExecutableExtension(ExtensionRegistry.java:905)
/*snip*/
Caused by: java.util.zip.ZipException: error in opening zip file
	at java.util.zip.ZipFile.open(Native Method)
	at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
/*snip*/

I am not totally sure how to debug this as there are no log messages right before the crash.

Is it a problem to install 2 different projects (different plugins: Java <> JS) on one product in different directories?

Any help is appreciated
Re: Eclipse crashes occasionally with "Eclipse stopped working" [message #1754768 is a reply to message #1754760] Wed, 22 February 2017 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Are these Eclipse installations (or the shared bundle pool they use, if they use one) on a network drive or on a drive local to the machine? Network drives are rather unreliable; they can fail at any time...

When you switched from Mars to Neon.2, did you create new installations or update the existing ones? If it was an update, how did you update? (I don't think updating from Mars to Neon.2 was well supported because of the restructuring of the EPP feature dependencies.)

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse crashes occasionally with "Eclipse stopped working" [message #1754807 is a reply to message #1754768] Wed, 22 February 2017 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Both installations are on an SSD no network involved, but they share the same pool.

I updated the oomph configurations, mostly by replacing each "mars" with "neon" and updating the version numbers. Both Eclipse installs are fresh installs, so no upgrade process.
Re: Eclipse crashes occasionally with "Eclipse stopped working" [message #1754817 is a reply to message #1754807] Wed, 22 February 2017 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I have many Mars, Neon, and Oxygen installation and I've not seen this problem. Some of your errors suggest even Java classes from the JDK can't be loaded properly. That's a little hard to explain. Perhaps deleting the workspace/.metadata/.log and showing me a complete .log from a fresh crash would help. I'm not sure what else to suggest either. I assume your running with a relatively recent Java 1.8 JDK. Perhaps using this approach to capture what all the threads are doing at the point it freezes would provide other clues: https://wiki.eclipse.org/How_to_report_a_deadlock

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse crashes occasionally with "Eclipse stopped working" [message #1754848 is a reply to message #1754817] Thu, 23 February 2017 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for the effort.

It could be that I found the problem. Our eclipse installer resides on a shared drive. I took a look into the eclipse.ini to figure out which JRE eclipse is started with and just realized it uses the JRE from the eclipse installer from the network drive.

I will change that and hope that the errors vanish.
Re: Eclipse crashes occasionally with "Eclipse stopped working" [message #1754943 is a reply to message #1754848] Fri, 24 February 2017 10:41 Go to previous message
After changing the VM to a local one the problems vanished.
(Now I have to figure out why that happened)
Previous Topic:Issue with evaluation of a variable within a variable
Next Topic:Automatic Remote Index Update
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 18:12:04 GMT 2024