Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Debug configuration does not attach automatically to the process (Debug configuration does not attach automatically to the process )
Debug configuration does not attach automatically to the process [message #1754502] Sun, 19 February 2017 07:41 Go to next message
Kustaa Nyholm is currently offline Kustaa NyholmFriend
I've got a project that compiles and runs just fine.

If I create a Run/Launch configuration I can run the code just fine.

If I use Debug to run that Run/Launch configuration it stops at main as expected but I have no source code available (cause it is after all it is a Run configuration).

Hower if I create a Debug/Launch configuration and run that using Debug (it does not allow me to run it with Run) then Eclipse will put up a dialog "Select one or more processes to attach to" which is both annoying and futile as the application has not been launched yet.

So what should I do to be able to debug with source code?

Re: Debug configuration does not attach automatically to the process [message #1754534 is a reply to message #1754502] Sun, 19 February 2017 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
If you are getting an attach request, it would seem your debug configuration has been created to attach.
Create it under the C/C++ Application section.

index.php/fa/28526/0/

There is really no difference between a Run or Debug configuration. The same configuration is used for both. Accessing the configuration as a Debug Configuration allows access to the Debug specific dialogs.

If you have no source available when you try debugging then the source tab may not been configured properly. Select the configuration as a Debug configuration; select the Source tab; and ensure the paths are correct. The default should be:
index.php/fa/28527/0/
Another possibility is that the executable was compiled without debugging information (the -g compile switch).

Re: Debug configuration does not attach automatically to the process [message #1754546 is a reply to message #1754534] Mon, 20 February 2017 04:45 Go to previous message
Kustaa Nyholm is currently offline Kustaa NyholmFriend
Thanks, it now attached automatically, I simply must have a made some mistake the first time I created the configuration. Now I need to figure out why the source is not available, possibly probably not compiled with the debug info.
Previous Topic:Indexer does not recognise Macos frameworks correctly in a project created by CMake
Next Topic:Where are debug launcher "source container" types documented?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 13:16:21 GMT 2024