Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Automatic Remote Index Update
Automatic Remote Index Update [message #1754295] Thu, 16 February 2017 09:08 Go to next message
Malte Brunnlieb is currently offline Malte BrunnliebFriend
Hi,

I am facing the issue, that our redirected oomph index seems to not be updated on installer launch.
In detail I am observing the following:

1. I start the oomph installer with a index redirection to our own products and projects and run one installation of product X with project Y once.
2. Afterwards, I close the installer, restart the PC, whatever... and change the project definition in the remote index files.
3. Then I start the installer again and I will get the unchanged project definition, respectively, the first version I previously installed once.
After some trials, I realized, that the index is cached in the home folder in .eclipse or .p2 repository. I am not entirely sure. After deleting both folders, I will get the correct remote index.

So why does this happen? I would expect updating from the remote index should be done on every launch of the installer, right? If not, is there any workaround to do so?

Best Regards,
Malte
Re: Automatic Remote Index Update [message #1754317 is a reply to message #1754295] Thu, 16 February 2017 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
The cache in ~/.eclipse/org.eclipse.oomph.setup/cache includes not just the file but also a corresponding *.etag (generally the ETag the server provides in the response header, or the Last-Modified from the response header, if the header doesn't provide an ETag). The installer initially loads without etag checking (so loads the cache), and then reloads with etag checking. This should generally update the cache, but if the server is providing neither an updated ETag nor an updated Last-Modified for the file being downloaded then the cache will look up-to-date and will be used. Perhaps-Doomph.setup.ecf.trace=true will help show what's going on in your case...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Automatic Remote Index Update [message #1754622 is a reply to message #1754295] Tue, 21 February 2017 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks. We will check. We are basically pointing the index to an apache2 served directory.
We will check what is not provided, thanks for the property pointer.
Re: Automatic Remote Index Update [message #1754628 is a reply to message #1754622] Tue, 21 February 2017 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just checked what is returned in our case. For files the ETag as well as last modified property is correctly returned by the server.
The ETag seems to be a uid.
Re: Automatic Remote Index Update [message #1754644 is a reply to message #1754628] Tue, 21 February 2017 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
And when the file is changed, the server returns a different ETag for it?

In the end, if I'm to fix some problem, I'll need a way to reproduce the problem...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Automatic Remote Index Update [message #1755749 is a reply to message #1754644] Tue, 07 March 2017 12:49 Go to previous message
Ok, verified.
It works with the ETag. I just can think of an issue with odd index references.
Previous Topic:Eclipse crashes occasionally with "Eclipse stopped working"
Next Topic:Oomph Setup Configuration Model how to
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 18:11:59 GMT 2024