Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » Dynamic Channel Groups?
Dynamic Channel Groups? [message #1753531] Tue, 07 February 2017 14:46 Go to next message
Tim Roberts is currently offline Tim RobertsFriend
I've looked around in the code and the forum but it doesn't seem very easy to dynamically create channel groups?

Looks like the closest I can come is by overriding getThingTypeByUID on BaseThingHandlerFactory and pass it the dynamically discovered channel groups? Doesn't appear that the ThingHandler can do this correct?

Use case - sony's newest API (which is really product agnostic) let's me dynamically discover hardware on the underlying device. Example: for audio - I may find 'speakers' and/or 'headphones' and/or 'hdmi', etc based on what the device supports. I'd like to create a channel group type that implements the basic audio channels and then dynamically create channel groups (to that type) based on what the API tells me the device supports. The same applies to other attributes (output ports, network ports, etc).

Ouch - was just looking at how homematic binding did it (basically implementing a bunch of providers) Hopefully there is an easier way...

[Updated on: Tue, 07 February 2017 16:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Dynamic Channel Groups? [message #1754003 is a reply to message #1753531] Mon, 13 February 2017 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
Hi Tim,

I guess https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome/issues/1118 pretty much summarizes what you ask for, right?
So as a short answer: No, currently not possible unless you dynamically define Thing types. But identified as something to improve.
Re: Dynamic Channel Groups? [message #1754009 is a reply to message #1754003] Mon, 13 February 2017 18:52 Go to previous message
Tim Roberts is currently offline Tim RobertsFriend
Yep - that's exactly it - thanks.
Previous Topic:Depolyable ESH
Next Topic:Changing of channels state and options on build, how?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:22:53 GMT 2024