Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Wire custom eclipse.product instead of org.eclipse.platform.ide into config.ini
Wire custom eclipse.product instead of org.eclipse.platform.ide into config.ini [message #1752965] Tue, 31 January 2017 12:06 Go to next message
Andrey Loskutov is currently offline Andrey LoskutovFriend
Hi,
I've created full set of catalog/product/project setups. Installer generates my product which includes Platform SDK/CDT/DLTK/whatever else AND my own feature and pruduct plugin (configured via p2 task).

If I create the target Eclipse with my installer, the result contains configuration/config.ini file with the product and application like below:
eclipse.product=org.eclipse.platform.ide
eclipse.application=org.eclipse.ui.ide.workbench

I can't see who and where configures this and how I can say Oomph to use my own product or application id in the eclipse.ini (product would be enough, since we use this for customization only).

Sure I can configure text modify task to rewrite the product in eclipse.ini on installation, but the problem is that after the update of the platform from say 4.6.1 to 4.6.2 the config.ini is re-written (I guess by p2) and the eclipse.product points again to the org.eclipse.platform.ide. This is definitely NOT what I want Smile

So where can one define which product (from many possible available on the p2 features) should be wired into the config.ini?
Re: Wire custom eclipse.product instead of org.eclipse.platform.ide into config.ini [message #1752966 is a reply to message #1752965] Tue, 31 January 2017 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
ping (this is just a test)

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Wire custom eclipse.product instead of org.eclipse.platform.ide into config.ini [message #1752969 is a reply to message #1752966] Tue, 31 January 2017 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
The config.ini is directly configured by p2 so if you want to change this file's contents, you'd do that in your <Product>.p2.inf file in your product definition project. E.g., in the installer product in /org.eclipse.oomph.setup.installer.product/Installer.p2.inf. From what you showed, you're installing an existing p2 product definition, not your own, with your own branding, *.product and so on...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Wire custom eclipse.product instead of org.eclipse.platform.ide into config.ini [message #1752971 is a reply to message #1752969] Tue, 31 January 2017 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed, *where* in Oomph I can specify that I want the resulting Eclipse to run *my* product plugin, not the sdk? I can't find it, and I have for sure my own plugin and feature there.
Re: Wire custom eclipse.product instead of org.eclipse.platform.ide into config.ini [message #1753001 is a reply to message #1752971] Wed, 01 February 2017 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
You don't specify that in Oomph. You specify which IUs are required, and one of those IUs will be (must be, when specifying a p2 task to install an Oomph product you actually want to be able to launch) the ID of a p2 product IU. E.g., the platform project has this product IU for the Neon update site:
<unit id='org.eclipse.platform.ide' version='4.6.2.M20161124-1400'>
  <update id='org.eclipse.platform.ide' range='[4.0.0,4.6.2.M20161124-1400)' severity='0' description='An update for 4.x generation Eclipse Platform.'/>
  <properties size='5'>
    <property name='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.name' value='Eclipse Platform'/>
    <property name='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.type.product' value='true'/>
    <property name='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.type.group' value='true'/>
    <property name='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.description' value='Initial Neon Release of the Eclipse Platform.'/>
    <property name='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.provider' value='Eclipse.org'/>
  </properties>
  <provides size='1'>
    <provided namespace='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu' name='org.eclipse.platform.ide' version='4.6.2.M20161124-1400'/>
  </provides>

I've never tried what happens if you require multiple different product IDs, but clearly only one can win the "eclipse.product" race in the config.ini. So you have two choices: reuse an existing p2 product in your p2 task or define your own p2 product that reuses an existing application (like what the EPP packages project is doing to create all the different branded packages with different subsets of features from the release train) and specify that in your p2 task.

Oomph itself as an example of a product IU, as I mentioned, and I know the Papyrus folks have created their own branded Papyrus installer by reusing the installer application, wrapping it in their own p2 product definition.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Wire custom eclipse.product instead of org.eclipse.platform.ide into config.ini [message #1753035 is a reply to message #1753001] Wed, 01 February 2017 10:08 Go to previous message
Thanks Ed, finally we sorted out that we should NOT include multiple products in product p2 task, but reference all what we need in our product and add only our product to the setup file.

So the answer to my original question is: there is no way to wire one specific product from many products included in p2 task, try to have a single product only in p2 task.
Previous Topic:Multiple Workspaces during installation
Next Topic:Problems satisfying version constraints when materializing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 16:12:12 GMT 2024