Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Indexer hanging at 700%, unworkable(Code indexer hangs using maximum cpu )
Indexer hanging at 700%, unworkable [message #1750573] Thu, 22 December 2016 20:12 Go to next message
Jiri Hoogland is currently offline Jiri HooglandFriend
Hi,

I am working on a large c++11 code base.
Until last week indexing was not an issue, but after updating an external dependency (pybind11), indexing skyrocketed to use 700% cpu usage and Eclipse effectively hanging... Now downgrading the dependency is not an option.

The dependency uses a lot of template logic, which I suspect screws up the indexing somehow (the log file(below) show a nullptr being thrown).

I tried playing with the various settings of the indexer in the CDT settings.
It doesnt help, I increased the heapsizes to insane amounts it does not help.

The log file doesnt tell much apart from the null ptr popping up somewhere.

Has anybody come across something similar and found a solution for this ?
I am effectively forced to ditch Eclipse because it doesn't work anymore.
Working without the indexer is not an option.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Also is there a way to generate more logging info ?

Thanks
Jiri

!SESSION 2016-12-22 12:38:52.716 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=4.5.2.M20160212-1500
java.version=1.8.0_111
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en_US
Framework arguments:  -product org.eclipse.epp.package.cpp.product -keyring /Users/Jiri/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
Command-line arguments:  -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.cpp.product -keyring /Users/Jiri/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation

This is a continuation of log file /Users/Jiri/Documents/workspace/.metadata/.bak_0.log
Created Time: 2016-12-22 12:40:24.747

!ENTRY org.eclipse.epp.logging.aeri.core 2 1 2016-12-22 12:40:24.748
!MESSAGE AERI failed with an error. Please report this error: null ; version: 1.100.0.v20160211-1103
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.invoke(InjectorImpl.java:217)
        at org.eclipse.e4.core.contexts.ContextInjectionFactory.invoke(ContextInjectionFactory.java:90)
        at org.eclipse.epp.logging.aeri.core.SystemControl.executeHandler(SystemControl.java:103)
        at org.eclipse.epp.logging.aeri.core.SystemControl.isActive(SystemControl.java:65)
        at org.eclipse.epp.logging.aeri.core.util.LogListener.logging(LogListener.java:45)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.RuntimeLog.logToListeners(RuntimeLog.java:161)

Re: Indexer hanging at 700%, unworkable [message #1750998 is a reply to message #1750573] Tue, 03 January 2017 15:08 Go to previous message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
I know that some such fixes have been done in the last months. Would you be able to try with the most recent CDT builds? CDT 9.2 for example? Are you able to create an reproducible test case? Even one that includes large open source project would be useful.

If so, please file a bug: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=CDT

PS The NullPointerException listed is unrelated, so there is sadly nothing in the log file that helps in this case.

Thanks
Jonah
Previous Topic:Suggest symbols while looking up with partial name
Next Topic:Launching error while debugging
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 08:01:12 GMT 2024