Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Problems with the installed version
Problems with the installed version [message #1750405] Tue, 20 December 2016 18:30 Go to next message
Amgad Bassili is currently offline Amgad BassiliFriend
After using the eclipse installer and choosing the Java IDE, I noticed that:

- The plugins directory has 1 jar only: org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.200.v20160318-1642.jar (as opposed to the large number of jars that come with the zipped version).
- The features directory is entirely missing.
- The p2 directory is entirely missing as well.

Our own plug-in that used to work with the zipped version no longer works with the installed version. Any idea?
Re: Problems with the installed version [message #1750428 is a reply to message #1750405] Wed, 21 December 2016 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
By default the installer uses a shared bundle pool (and p2 agent for that matter) in the ${user.home}/.p2 directory. All features and plugins are located there and are shared across multiple Eclipse installations. If you don't like the shared bundle pool you can disable it per installation. To do that open the menu of the installer in the upper right corner and switch off bundle pools.

I can not comment on the problem with your own plugin because you haven't shared any details about this problem. Are there related entries/exceptions in the Error Log view or in other log files?

Re: Problems with the installed version [message #1750496 is a reply to message #1750428] Wed, 21 December 2016 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your answer, the menu in the right upper corner of the installer was not obvious to me.

I got the plugin working by putting it in the "dropins" folder (as opposed to the "plugins" folder as I used to do with the zipped version of Eclipse). What are the differences between the "dropins" and "plugins" folders, and which one should I place my plugin under?

Thanks again.

Re: Problems with the installed version [message #1750523 is a reply to message #1750496] Thu, 22 December 2016 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
The Simple mode of the installer is intended to have a simple minimal UI with the minimum amount of visual clutter so things most people won't need to do are in the menu. In Advanced mode, there is a control on the first wizard page for this the bundle pool control.

You shouldn't use the plugins folder and that (likely) doesn't even work for an installation shared bundle pool. The dropins folder is the place to drop things in; it's designed to be the place that p2 scans for additional things to install that won't interfere with the things that were "properly" installed (Help -> Install New Software...) and managed (Help -> Check for Updates).

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Problems with the installed version [message #1750557 is a reply to message #1750523] Thu, 22 December 2016 15:22 Go to previous message
Thanks!
Previous Topic:Not able to automate addition of ignored resources in eclipse
Next Topic:How to manage org.eclipse.oomph.p2/cache?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:23:12 GMT 2024