Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » MSP430 no MCU targets(Neon.1, WIN10, MSP430 plugin from XPG does not work)
MSP430 no MCU targets [message #1749754] Sun, 11 December 2016 07:22 Go to next message
Wald Schrat is currently offline Wald SchratFriend
Hi,

I installed MSP430GCC (XPG plugin 1.0.5.5) on Neon.1 hosted on Debian without problems. Everything like compilation, debug, etc. works fine.

Now I tried it on Neon.1 running on Win 10 (MSP430GCC plus XPG plugin 1.0.5.5).
It installs without problems, but when opening a new MSP430-Project the MCU-Target selection is empty. Therefore the project setup fails.

Does anybody have a clue?

Thank you.

Regards
Re: MSP430 no MCU targets [message #1749815 is a reply to message #1749754] Mon, 12 December 2016 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
Perhaps someone else here will have an answer. But the XPG plug-in is a third-party plug-in, so you may have more luck on their site, or filing a bug: https://gitlab.com/xpg/msp430eclipse/issues

I note that the xpg website implies it is only supported on very old Eclipse (Indigo). Perhaps just the website it out of date as you have it running.

I also note that they only appear to have packaged toolchains for linux on the update site, not windows, so perhaps you have to manually install the windows hosted toolchain.

Either way this is all guess work.

Jonah
Re: MSP430 no MCU targets [message #1749840 is a reply to message #1749815] Tue, 13 December 2016 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah, thx for reply!
(excuse for my bad english)

You are right the latest MSP430-plugin is very outdated. It seems there are two obstacles to jump over. First, the empty MCU-Box apparently depends on the environment language. If others language as english, then the gcc returns translated prefixes for the "-print-search-dirs" parameter which could not be enumerated into available MCUs. My environment is "german". Markus Schabel (markus.schabel@gmail.com) developed an patch:This patch modifies the launch of gcc so that it is executed in an english environment and always returns the right information. Unfortunately the latest plugin does not include this patch. But all sources are on git available. So I rebuild this plugin with the patch included and try it to migrate into Neon.
Now the second issue comes up, a missing dependency: "org.eclipse.cdt.debug.mi.core". In yours discussion with Liviu Ionescu (http://eclipse.1072660.n5.nabble.com/missing-org-eclipse-cdt-debug-mi-core-in-Neon-td182065.html) regarding the same CDT- problem you gave an advice to migrate the code to CDT 9.0. I would this way go in the same manner.
I am not so familiar with PDE and Eclipse-Platform, that is why I need a lot more of time to solve the problems. Any further advices are very appreciated.

Thank You.
Regards

[Updated on: Tue, 13 December 2016 07:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: MSP430 no MCU targets [message #1749842 is a reply to message #1749840] Tue, 13 December 2016 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you point me at the code (in git preferably) then I might be able to propose a patch or a way forward.
Re: MSP430 no MCU targets [message #1749845 is a reply to message #1749842] Tue, 13 December 2016 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah (thx!),

here you will find all the sources:

https://gitlab.com/xpg/msp430eclipse/tree/master/dk.xpg.msp430eclipse

Your help is very, very appreciated!

Best Regards,
BergSchrat
Re: MSP430 no MCU targets [message #1749920 is a reply to message #1749845] Tue, 13 December 2016 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It was a pretty simple one to resolve, so I did a PR: https://gitlab.com/xpg/msp430eclipse/merge_requests/1

The dependency on org.eclipse.cdt.debug.mi.core was only 1 unused import, so not really a dependency.

HTH
Jonah
Re: MSP430 no MCU targets [message #1749934 is a reply to message #1749920] Wed, 14 December 2016 06:18 Go to previous message
Hi Jonah,

your help is much appreciated. Meanwhile the MSP430plugin installs and is working.
Apart from the language issue regarding the MCU-Target, the plugin forgets the drive-letter where the msp430toolchain is installed.
Workaround: the toolchain should be on drive "c".
To solve these issues I will file a problem report to XPG.

Thanks again!

Best regards

BergSchrat (Bavarian-Alps)
Previous Topic:C++ 11 headers issue
Next Topic:CDT and Oracle Pro*C Issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:04:09 GMT 2024