Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Arduino plugin: Supported boards (Platforms): rfDuino(Is the rfDuino board supported? can I use an existing platform?)
Arduino plugin: Supported boards (Platforms): rfDuino [message #1749742] Sat, 10 December 2016 17:41 Go to next message
Terrance McPharlin is currently offline Terrance McPharlinFriend
Greetings,

I'm just getting started on using Eclipse (Oxygen) for Arduino development and have the "Arduino C++ Tools - Preview" v9.1.0... plugin installed. AKA "Eclipse C++ IDE for Arduino 2.0"

My rfDuino board is not listed in either:
1. The "Arduino Download Manager" "Add Package" Dialog.
2. "Board Type" from the "New Arduino Target" dialog when creating a new connection.

My initial attempt was to install the "Arduino AVR Boards" Package but the CPU type differs from my rfDuino board.

I can certainly look around for a more compatible board to try but wonder if this will be a futile effort.

The rfDuino is a pretty sweet product running a 16MHz ARM Cortex-M0 CPU so I'd really like to make this work. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

This is what I'm running with now:
www dot rfduino dot com/product/rfd22102-rfduino-dip/index.html

Kind regards,
Terrance
Re: Arduino plugin: Supported boards (Platforms): rfDuino [message #1749836 is a reply to message #1749742] Tue, 13 December 2016 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tonight I tried installing the Arduino SAMD package since the boards it supports more closely match the rfDuino but was unable to upload a binary.

I did have fun poking around in the .arduinocdt directory and assume that the support package for the rfDuino (the arduino nordic nrf51 package) would have to be incorporated not to mention a bootloader tailored to that particular board.

[Updated on: Tue, 13 December 2016 07:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Arduino plugin: Supported boards (Platforms): rfDuino [message #1749884 is a reply to message #1749836] Tue, 13 December 2016 14:14 Go to previous message
Late last night I found some discussions on the rfDuino Kickstarter project. It turns out that their Open Source project ran into a snag and they replaced the open source bootloader (AvrDude) with a proprietary tool since some of the changes they made were based upon code under NDA by the chip manufacturer.

So, supporting this board is doable but would require accommodating their bootloader in addition to the nrf51 libraries, something that would be difficult without some support by the Author(s) of this Eclipse Plug-in.
Previous Topic:Mixing C/C++ and Assembly Language in same program
Next Topic:C++ 11 headers issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 05:38:14 GMT 2024