| Unable to migrate plugin from Eclipse Mars to Eclipse Neon [message #1749256]
||Sun, 04 December 2016 16:08
| Timo Rumland
Registered: July 2009
I'm currently trying to get an old Eclipse plugin (an Eclipse 2.0 style plugin) running on Eclipse Neon (4.6), which is running fine on Eclipse Mars (4.5). I have access to the source code of the plugin, but I'm not very experience in Eclipse plugin development.
Eclipse Neon does not give any error messages when starting with the plugin (by coping it into the "dropins" directory), the Eclipse Neon log file says nothing about the plugin, it seems that the plugin does not get started or if it just gets ignored).
(Note: The plugin is running on Eclipse Mars by installing the "Eclipse 2.0 Style Plugin Support" plugin, which I also installed on by Eclipse Neon instance.)
To migrate the plugin from Eclipse Mars to Eclipse Neon, I've done the following steps so far:
- Removed the dependecy to 'org.eclipse.core.runtime.compatibility' by removing the "<import..." line in 'plugin.xml'.
- Corrected all compiler errors thereafter
- Created a 'META-INF/MANIFEST.MF' by clicking on the apropriate link on the plugins overview view (so Eclipse Neon itself created the 'MANIFEST.MF', it was not created by me manually).
- I can sucessfully build the plugin with Eclipse Neon (File -> Export -> Deployable plug-ins and fragments)
Here is an overview of what works and what does not:
- The original build of the plugin does run on Eclipse Mars by coping it into the "dropins" folder
- The original build of the plugin does NOT run on Eclipse Neon by coping it into the "dropins" folder
- A new build of the plugin done with Eclipse Neon does run on Eclipse Mars
- A new build of the plugin done with Eclipse Neon does NOT run on Eclipse Neon
- The plugin DOES RUN when starting it from Eclipse Neon by "Run as / Debug As" -> "Eclipse Application" (a new Eclipse Neon instance gets started and the plugin is available and running in that instance)
The fact that the plugin compiles and exports correctly and that it is running on Eclipse Mars AND by using "Debug As" from Eclipse Neon tells me, that there must be just a little thing missing to get it running on Eclipse Neon by copying the build to the "dropins" folder of Eclipse Neon (or let's say, I hope it is just a little thing that is missing).
I'm not experienced enough with Eclipse plugin development, so I'm currently stuck without any good ideas left how to proceed.
I hope anyone has a spontaneous idea what may be wrong. If it helps, I can provide the code of the plugin, the plugin.xml, configuration files or even the whole plugin project.
I really appreciate any help
Thanks a lot!
Powered by FUDForum
. Page generated in 0.01658 seconds