Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Is it possible to make Eclipse completely portable
Is it possible to make Eclipse completely portable [message #1748694] Sun, 27 November 2016 08:33 Go to next message
James Yeoman is currently offline James YeomanFriend
I want to be able to install eclipse onto my external HDD so that I can take it into college and use it on the computers there without storing any files on the computers there. However, because of Oomph, there are folders that get generated every time eclipse starts up without them existing i.e. "%USR_DIR%/.eclipse" , "%USR_DIR%/.p2" , "%USR_DIR%/.tooling". There is also the "ico_dir" folder in appdata. I don't want to put anything like this on the college computers so I want any needed files and folders to be stored on the external HDD. Is this possible?
Re: Is it possible to make Eclipse completely portable [message #1748698 is a reply to message #1748694] Sun, 27 November 2016 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
This is not a JDT question.

An installation can of course be completely portable, but many technologies (not just Oomph) will store information that's shared across installations in some folder in the user home folder, generally under the ~/.eclipse folder. You can edit the eclipse.ini and add to the -vmargs section a -Duser.home=<some-folder-on-your-external-drive> system property.

If you're using the Eclipse Installer to create an installation, it's important to note that it uses a bundle pool by default and that will be in the ~/.p2 folder by default. But you can change that to be on the external drive or you can disable using a pool at all.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Is it possible to make Eclipse completely portable [message #1748740 is a reply to message #1748698] Mon, 28 November 2016 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Yeoman is currently offline James YeomanFriend
I installed via an Archive. How would I go about disabling using a pool? Also, what would have been a more relevant forum to post on?
Re: Is it possible to make Eclipse completely portable [message #1748744 is a reply to message #1748740] Mon, 28 November 2016 09:36 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Note that I said "If you're using the Eclipse Installer to create an installation" but you're using a package download so the comments don't apply.

The platform or newcomers forum would have been a better place to post, but no harm done!

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:How to make a generic null annotated method
Next Topic:org.eclipse.jdt.launching error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:28:13 GMT 2024