Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Remove deleted projects with Oomph
Remove deleted projects with Oomph [message #1748106] Fri, 18 November 2016 14:03 Go to next message
Silvestre Martins is currently offline Silvestre MartinsFriend
We are working on a legacy project that contains old plugins that are being removed in the context of refactoring tasks. So frequently we delete the projects from the workspace.

We have an Oomph Project Import task reads the projects from a psf file. This works as expected. And when we delete a project, we also remove it from the file.
However, we always need to tell all developers to delete the project manually from their workspace.

In cases where the project was simply moved but name is the same, this is even worse, because now Oomph fails because it detects a new project, but cannot import it because there's already a project with same name.
So in this case developers need to delete the project manually, and restart Eclipse to rerun the import task.

It would be nice if Oomph could support the "un-import". This way we simply needed to maintain a list of deleted projects, as we do with .gitignore file (to avoid projects being added back again during merges).

Is there a way to achieve this result with existing functionality?

[Updated on: Fri, 18 November 2016 14:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Remove deleted projects with Oomph [message #1748153 is a reply to message #1748106] Sat, 19 November 2016 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
If you delete a project from the git clone, as soon as the user does a pull, they're already running into problems, right? I.e., it's evident which project is deleted after a pull? Perhaps Git itself should clean up the workspace to remove the project in this case. After all, it does auto connect to projects in the workspace, so it could certain detect when projects become unconnected...

I'm not sure I fully understand the workflow you're trying to achieve. It seems to me you could also tell developers to create a fresh setup after one person has done all the refactoring. In any case, there is no workspace project delete task...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Remove deleted projects with Oomph [message #1748156 is a reply to message #1748153] Sat, 19 November 2016 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silvestre Martins is currently offline Silvestre MartinsFriend
This is a recurrent task, not a one-time refactoring, this I would like to have a more transparent workflow to deal with deleted/moved projects.

If user deletes or moves a project in local clone, doing a Git pull won't cause any trouble, unless there are changes in files inside that project, mas that's something the developer is deleting the project must deal with, as any other Git merge conflict.

The problem is when these changes are pushed into remote. Other developers will then do a Git pull and existing project becomes obsolete (usually project is still present in the workspace but empty). This is not so relevant for deleted projects, but for moved projects it creates problems because Oomph fails to perform the Project Import task, and developers that are not aware of changes on that particular project, don't understand why it fails.

I see a workaround for the "location moved" use-case: always change the project name - this way Oomph won't fail anymore because there's a project with same name in the workspace already.

I was just wondering if there would be another way to handle this.
Re: Remove deleted projects with Oomph [message #1748172 is a reply to message #1748156] Sun, 20 November 2016 08:24 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Silvestre Martins wrote on Sat, 19 November 2016 07:45
This is a recurrent task, not a one-time refactoring, this I would like to have a more transparent workflow to deal with deleted/moved projects.

I wouldn't have expected deleting an moving projects to be a common recurring task...
Quote:

If user deletes or moves a project in local clone, doing a Git pull won't cause any trouble, unless there are changes in files inside that project, mas that's something the developer is deleting the project must deal with, as any other Git merge conflict.

The problem is when these changes are pushed into remote.

Yes, that was my point. The other uses must do a pull and then they have a whack of problems...
Quote:

Other developers will then do a Git pull and existing project becomes obsolete (usually project is still present in the workspace but empty).

Exactly, and that would seem like something that could be addressed. After all, if a project is in the workspace and is connected to a git clone, after the pull, if the project is no longer in the clone, it would seem reasonable to expect the project also no longer be in the workspace...
Quote:

This is not so relevant for deleted projects, but for moved projects it creates problems because Oomph fails to perform the Project Import task, and developers that are not aware of changes on that particular project, don't understand why it fails.

But also if you do things manually, you must also first delete the workspace project before you can import another project. So you seem to be focused on tasks that delete projects but it seems to me EGit might do more to handle this case...
Quote:

I see a workaround for the "location moved" use-case: always change the project name - this way Oomph won't fail anymore because there's a project with same name in the workspace already.

I was just wondering if there would be another way to handle this.

I suppose Oomph could do some additional processing before performing tasks that might import projects. E.g., it could look for closed projects for which there is no underlying file system backing it, and delete such projects from the workspace. On could argue that the project set importers (team-implementation-specific) themselves should do that.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Error at installation
Next Topic:Server configuration update
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 16:11:30 GMT 2024