Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Upgrade(Upgrade from very old version to Neon)
Upgrade [message #1746723] Thu, 03 November 2016 17:27 Go to next message
Samuel Johnson is currently offline Samuel JohnsonFriend
I am running a very old version of the Eclipse Java IDE, namely, Juno Service Release 1. I would like to upgrade to Neon 1a (release 4.6.1). Questions: 1) Do I uninstall the Juno verson first? 2) What problems might I anticipate in doing this upgrade? 3) How do I carry over my existing Java projects to the Neon IDE?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Upgrade [message #1746727 is a reply to message #1746723] Thu, 03 November 2016 18:33 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

"What problems might I anticipate in doing this upgrade?" isn't a question that anyone can really answer with certainty, so here are some steps to follow:

1) Back up your workspace and the projects you are using. Migrating to a newer version can/will update metadata to newer formats that aren't supported in the older one.
2) Download Neon.1 and install it into a new location. It can be a sibling of your Juno install's location, but never ever unpack or install one over the other from outside of Eclipse.
3) Run the new version using the same workspace you were using. Which you backed up before.
4) Let us know what happens, good or bad.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Previous Topic:How to get out of Debug mode?
Next Topic:PyDev: Local Path not Discoverable When Setting the Interpreter Path
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 14:29:46 GMT 2024