Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Eclipse OOMPH System Wide Installation
Eclipse OOMPH System Wide Installation [message #1746485] Sun, 30 October 2016 23:03 Go to next message
Nikos Argyriou is currently offline Nikos ArgyriouFriend
Hello

I am trying to create a system wide installation with Eclipse OOMPH, by following the steps below:

Copy Installer folder under /opt/ and run as root
    Create an installation for e.g JAVA IDE for neon 4.6
    Set the git project position inside the workspace folder
    Copy ws to your home directory and change permissions
    Start Eclipse as a user and select the workspace above

Do I miss something? What's happening if I make any updates to the root installation inside /opt.

Thank you in advance
Nikos
Re: Eclipse OOMPH System Wide Installation [message #1746518 is a reply to message #1746485] Mon, 31 October 2016 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Given you mention /opt and "root" I assume you're on Linux. To which "Install folder" do you refer? The installer itself or the installation you're creating.

So you use the installer to create an installation. Where did you put that installation?

You mention a git project position and a workspace folder. Are you authoring a Project Setup?

It doesn't really make good sense to be copying workspace folders. While it would be nice if they were relocatable, I would make the basic assumption that any workspace folder might and probably will contain absolute paths that refer to the original location of the workspace folder.

You mention starting Eclipse with a copied workspace. What updates are involved in this?

Note that when you use the installer to create an installation, but default it uses a bundle pool. Where is the bundle pool located in the scenario you describe?

Both the installation and the bundle pool it uses must be read-only to the user in order for the Eclipse runtime to create a surrogate installation in the user's .eclipse folder. Perhaps that's something that was overlooked?

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse OOMPH System Wide Installation [message #1746575 is a reply to message #1746518] Tue, 01 November 2016 08:51 Go to previous message
Nikos Argyriou is currently offline Nikos ArgyriouFriend
The steps in details are summarized below:

1. Run the OOMPH installer as root in a Linux Environment. I prefer to put the installer inside /opt/Eclipse Installer

2. Set a bundle agent inside /opt/EclipseOOMPH/.p2/

3. Set an installation for e.g JAVA IDE for neon 4.6, Opendaylight (no projects or some specific projects like OpenFlow,...) with variables:
- Root = /opt/EclipseOOMPH/
- Installation = /opt/EclipseOOMPH/java-neon
- Workspace = /opt/EclipseOOMPH/java-neon/ws (Is plugins configuration saved here?)
- GIT = /opt/EclipseOOMPH/java-neon/ws/.git (even if I set this path, it seems that some folders are created inside /opt/EclipseOOMPH/java-neon/git which is the default path) for imported GIT projects. Some people propose to have a GIT folder inside the workspace.

4. Run the /opt/EclipseOOMPH/java-neon/eclipse as a user.

So the question is about the right way to have an exact copy of the ROOT_WS= /opt/EclipseOOMPH/java-neon/ws (with all the plugins configurations) inside the USER_WS = user home workspace:

- If I give rwx access to all users for the initial ROOT_WS, I may use this workspace in order to save as a new one inside my home directory (Copy settings inside the switch workspace dialog box). Do I have to use something like https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/workspace-preferences-transferrer#group-details?
- If I create a new USER_WS, I will have to make some additions to this, in order to have the same environment as inside root. For example, when a workspace is ready for use with the OpenDaylight Controller this means that some tasks have been run during the initialization according to the OpenDaylight Setup Model. This is my default ROOT_WS workspace. If I create a new USER_WS, what does this means regarding these tasks?
- If I copy the ROOT_WS to my home and use it, I will have problems with wrong paths. Even if I make any updates manually (replace any relative paths with the new ones) it is not the best solution.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 November 2016 15:59]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Easier way to test p2 provision
Next Topic:"configuration" - product and project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:48:14 GMT 2024