Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » folder ignored in submodule appears as tracked
folder ignored in submodule appears as tracked [message #1746122] Sat, 22 October 2016 12:59 Go to next message
Stefano Cottafavi is currently offline Stefano CottafaviFriend
Hi all,
I just want to know if what described in the topic is a bug or the expected behavior.

I have a git project in which I specify a submodule. The submodule contains its own .gitignore to ignore /output folder. The folder initially doesn't exists but as soon as I create it in the submodule working folder, it gets the yellow bin icon (as for tracked) instead of nothing as I would expect.

any clue?

cheers,
Stefano
Re: folder ignored in submodule appears as tracked [message #1746157 is a reply to message #1746122] Mon, 24 October 2016 08:12 Go to previous message
Christian Halstrick is currently offline Christian HalstrickFriend
I can't reproduce this. I did the following
- create java project sub1 in folder <sub1-path> and put it under git control. Created initial commit
- create java project root in folder <root-path> and put it under git control. Created initial commit
- from "Git Repositories view" add a submodule to project "root". Path was "plugins/sub1" and URI was "file:///<sub1-path>". Committed in project "root" this change (if you inspect it in history view thats a change to ".gitmodules" and to "plugins/s1")
- with an external editor modified "<root-path>/plugins/sub1/.gitignore". Added line "/trash"
- In Eclipse commited the change to the ,gitignore file
- In Eclipse created in <root-path>/plugins/sub1/trash/x and <root-path>/plugins/sub1/other/y
- The icons for folder <root-path>/plugins/sub1/trash and <root-path>/plugins/sub1/other are as expected: trash is not marked and other is marked as dirty. Also the staging view only shows me <root-path>/plugins/sub1/other/y as dirty file and doesn't mention <root-path>/plugins/sub1/trash/x.

Do these exact steps work for you? I guess there is something in your workflow which reveals this potential EGit bug.
Another question: what exactly is the content of your .gitignore file corresponding to my <root-path>/plugins/sub1/.gitignore

Ciao
Chris
Previous Topic:Disconnect Project & Delete Repository Issue
Next Topic:Can't separate Git workspace and repository from Eclipse project metadata
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 14:01:26 GMT 2024