Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » [EMFSTore] backup of EMFStore with server running([EMFSTore] backup of EMFStore with server running)
[EMFSTore] backup of EMFStore with server running [message #1742869] Thu, 08 September 2016 10:15 Go to next message
Neil Mackenzie is currently offline Neil MackenzieFriend
Hi,
Is it possible to run a backup of the files stored by EMFStore when the server is running?
Maybe there are problems if backup is done while a file is being written?
Maybe other users have other useful approaches to backing up EMFStore?
Thanks for any input,
Neil
Re: [EMFSTore] backup of EMFStore with server running [message #1743138 is a reply to message #1742869] Mon, 12 September 2016 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johannes Faltermeier is currently offline Johannes FaltermeierFriend

Hi,
I agree that there might be problems when the backup is running while files are being written, although I guess that problem should be rare. Nevertheless there is currently no completely safe way to perform a backup while the EMFStore server is still running. We are open for suggestions and contributions in this area.
Cheers
Johannes

Johannes Faltermeier

Get professional Eclipse developer support:
http://eclipsesource.com/en/services/developer-support/
Re: [EMFSTore] backup of EMFStore with server running [message #1745287 is a reply to message #1743138] Fri, 07 October 2016 10:23 Go to previous message
Neil Mackenzie is currently offline Neil MackenzieFriend
Hi Johannes , thanks for your reply.
I believe EMFstore also has a MongoDB backend but not sure if it is experimental or maintained as up to date. Perhaps MongoDB has its own 'live' backup options that are suitable?
Otherwise perhaps a backup() function could be added to the EMFStore API which ensures that files are in a consistant state (e.g. all active file writes have completed) before copying files to another folder..this approach might need to temporarily suspend other updates to disk until the backup process finished. Just one idea....currently I dont have time to make a contribution for this unfortunately.
Regards,
Neil
Previous Topic:[ECP] New project provider
Next Topic:[Xcore] Getting Xcore to play well with bndtools
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 23:19:52 GMT 2024