Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » What is the best JavaFX diagram builder for Xtext language?
icon5.gif  What is the best JavaFX diagram builder for Xtext language? [message #1742077] Wed, 31 August 2016 07:38 Go to next message
Stephane Galland is currently offline Stephane GallandFriend
Dear all.

I would like to define some graphical representation of the code that was written with my DSL.

I found a couple of projects, e.g. FXDiagram that are providing tools for building these diagrams.

My questions are: do you know good libraries according to your experience?

Thank you in advance.

Dr.habil Stéphane Galland.
Belfort-Montbéliard University of Technologie, France.

[Updated on: Wed, 31 August 2016 07:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: What is the best JavaFX diagram builder for Xtext language? [message #1742080 is a reply to message #1742077] Wed, 31 August 2016 08:28 Go to previous message
Jan Koehnlein is currently offline Jan KoehnleinFriend
I prefer model view frameworks, which don't allow changes of the underlying model via the diagram, e.g.:
FXDiagram: User decides what's in a diagram (graphically), layout semi-automatically, some nice reconcile operations to deal with model changes
KLighD: User scripts what's in a diagram, fully automatic layout, nice expand/collapse of container nodes inside the diagram
Graphviz: Hook up a code generator for your language that generates .dot files. Very simple to hook up in Xtext, but no GUI
Generic Graph View (discontinued): User models textually (scripts) what's in a diagram and how it's rendered

Some resources on that topic: (discontinued) (general issues with Xtext and graphics, views vs. editors, FXDiagram) (general issues with Xtext, some comparison of Graphviz, GEF, GGV) (views vs. editors, GVV) (general issues with Xtext and graphics)

Get professional support from the Xtext committers at
Previous Topic:Xtext Gradle Dependancies
Next Topic:Xtext grammar related query
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 23 17:12:05 GMT 2018