Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Eclipse not writing to Console tab(Eclipse not writing to Console tab)
Eclipse not writing to Console tab [message #1737116] Tue, 05 July 2016 20:47 Go to next message
Rob Wynne is currently offline Rob WynneFriend
Hi,

I am having issues again with my Eclipse not writing to the Console tab. My programs run fine, but all System.out calls write nothing to the tab. I can't figure out why this is.

I have tried upgrading to Neon, trying different JDKs, etc, but still nothing writes to the Console tab. Even if I try changing the Console output to a file through the run configurations, that file is not written to.

If I externalize my projects and run them from the command line, they work fine as well and System.out calls are printed in the command line window.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thanks,
Rob
Re: Eclipse not writing to Console tab [message #1737155 is a reply to message #1737116] Wed, 06 July 2016 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Rob,

Perhaps on the Common tab of your program's Run Configuration the
"Allocate console" checkbox isn't checked.

On 05.07.2016 22:47, Rob Wynne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having issues again with my Eclipse not writing to the Console
> tab. My programs run fine, but all System.out calls write nothing to
> the tab. I can't figure out why this is.
>
> I have tried upgrading to Neon, trying different JDKs, etc, but still
> nothing writes to the Console tab. Even if I try changing the Console
> output to a file through the run configurations, that file is not
> written to.
>
> If I externalize my projects and run them from the command line, they
> work fine as well and System.out calls are printed in the command line
> window.
>
> Can anyone help me with this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse not writing to Console tab [message #1737636 is a reply to message #1737155] Mon, 11 July 2016 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, the 'Allocate console' option is checked for all projects. Still no luck.

Is there another setting or option I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks,
Rob

Ed Merks wrote on Wed, 06 July 2016 07:33
Rob,

Perhaps on the Common tab of your program's Run Configuration the
"Allocate console" checkbox isn't checked.

Re: Eclipse not writing to Console tab [message #1737865 is a reply to message #1737636] Wed, 13 July 2016 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bump. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Re: Eclipse not writing to Console tab [message #1737867 is a reply to message #1737865] Wed, 13 July 2016 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob,

I'm out of ideas. Perhaps try created a new launch configuration and
hope it works in that one.

On 13.07.2016 17:08, Rob Wynne wrote:
> Bump. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ed Merks
Re: Eclipse not writing to Console tab [message #1738092 is a reply to message #1737867] Fri, 15 July 2016 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tried that, but still no luck. This one is a real head scratcher!

I will try opening my workspace on a different machine.
Re: Eclipse not writing to Console tab [message #1738110 is a reply to message #1738092] Fri, 15 July 2016 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
could also be that some plugin created its own console (e.g., to show the logs of a build) pushing your application console to the background. Is the drop-down "Display Selected Console" (In the console's toolbar) enabled? Is your application mentioned in the heading of the console view?
Re: Eclipse not writing to Console tab [message #1738284 is a reply to message #1738110] Mon, 18 July 2016 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
'Display Selected Console' is not enabled (grayed out). My application is mentioned in the heading of the console view.
Re: Eclipse not writing to Console tab [message #1738492 is a reply to message #1737116] Wed, 20 July 2016 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
El Pirata is currently offline El PirataFriend
I have this strange problem too, but not all the time. I'm beginner in C, and trying sockets.
I tried the source code of this page:
www tenouk.com/Winsock/Winsock2example9.html

the code works correctly, but in the case of the server i noticed no output messages are shown. In the client console all goes fine.

I found that if i erase or comment the statement "local.sin_family = AF_INET;" that set IPv4 protocol to the socket, the output is showing normally, but obviously the program runs faulty.
If I run the .exe in CMD it runs fine and showing output.

can anyone help with this tricky problem? im searching the web, but I only find CDT problems that doesn't show any output at all.

I'm Using Eclipse cpp Neon x64 and MinGW, tried Eclipse x86 too with any sucess

Why with that statement the program doesnt shows any output to the debug console?

Thanks
Re: Eclipse not writing to Console tab [message #1739334 is a reply to message #1738492] Fri, 29 July 2016 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bump.

I've been able to get this working on Windows 10, Linux, but not in my Windows 7 environment (that is on government furnished equipment).

Do previous builds of Eclipse exist that include Java? I'm convinced there may be an environmental issue specific to my government furnished equipment, but can't pin it down.

Thanks,
Rob
Re: Eclipse not writing to Console tab [message #1739335 is a reply to message #1739334] Fri, 29 July 2016 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just to add, programs requiring keyboard input (simple menus) also do not function in the tab. They operate fine in the command window.

[Updated on: Fri, 29 July 2016 21:38]

Report message to a moderator

icon10.gif  Re: Eclipse not writing to Console tab [message #1739340 is a reply to message #1739335] Sat, 30 July 2016 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SOLVED...

My government equipment is equipped with something called a Privilege Manager. After installing Neon using the Oomph installer, the installer allows you to click 'Launch'. This is when the Console Tab started functioning normally. Note, installing programs with elevated privileges is akin to Admin privileges.

However, after exiting, and starting Eclipse from the shortcut the Console Tab no longer works. I did this with elevated privilege, but since I'm not installing software the privilege is not as Admin.

Since it appears Privilege Manager is the culprit, I will need an Administrator Account to launch Eclipse with Admin privilege. I hope to close this thread once I have this.
Re: Eclipse not writing to Console tab [message #1739344 is a reply to message #1739340] Sat, 30 July 2016 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Guessing a bit; the Console is not really part of Eclipse, it is a
system facility that Eclipse exploits to provide a helpful UI. Therefore
some kind of external fork may be involved and this may be subject to
one of Windows' fine-grained privileges that has been unhelpfully
disabled for you.

Eclipse does not provide Java inclusive bundles, but a variety of
'third' party vendors do; CEA, itemis, Obeo, ... however I doubt that a
bundled Java will get you past an over-protective privilege manager.

If you identify the fine-grained privilege, please raise a Bugzilla
against the platform so that a more helpful diagnosis can be provided
for similar environments.

Regards

Ed Willink

On 30/07/2016 07:04, Rob Wynne wrote:
> SOLVED...
>
> My government equipment is equipped with something called a Privilege
> Manager. After installing Neon using the Oomph installer, the installer
> allows you to click 'Launch'. This is when the Console Tab started
> functioning normally. Note, installing programs with elevated
> privileges is akin to Admin privileges.
>
> However, after exiting, and starting Eclipse from the shortcut the
> Console Tab no longer works. I did this with elevated privilege, but
> since I'm not installing software the privilege is not as Admin.
>
> Since it appears Privilege Manager is the culprit, I will need an
> Administrator Account to launch Eclipse with Admin privilege. I hope to
> close this thread once I have this.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
Re: Eclipse not writing to Console tab [message #1739546 is a reply to message #1739344] Tue, 02 August 2016 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have discovered that running Eclipse with Admin Privilege on my government equipment will cause full functionality, and the Console Tab will be written to. It appears the culprit is the (recently updated) Privilege Manager/Power Broker. I will mention this thread in the Bugzilla.

Thanks,
Rob
Re: Eclipse not writing to Console tab [message #1739552 is a reply to message #1739546] Tue, 02 August 2016 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugzilla opened. https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=499068
Re: Eclipse not writing to Console tab [message #1740018 is a reply to message #1737116] Mon, 08 August 2016 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lineisy Kosenkova is currently offline Lineisy KosenkovaFriend
the only solution for me was:
click on window->close all perspective (you can try also close perspective)
after this, in the top right corner click on: open perspective->resource
Re: Eclipse not writing to Console tab [message #1741275 is a reply to message #1740018] Wed, 24 August 2016 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
avantika thakur is currently offline avantika thakurFriend
Try this one :

From the menu bar, Window → Show View → Console. Alternately, use the keyboard shortcut
Re: Eclipse not writing to Console tab [message #1741548 is a reply to message #1741275] Thu, 25 August 2016 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The bug has been updated with feedback from a PowerBroker administrator. Apparently eclipse is still an unsigned executable. Anyone know the reasoning for this?
Re: Eclipse not writing to Console tab [message #1741794 is a reply to message #1741548] Mon, 29 August 2016 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bump.
Re: Eclipse not writing to Console tab [message #1741844 is a reply to message #1741794] Tue, 30 August 2016 06:46 Go to previous message
Well, the eclipse executable is definitely signed, but I know I've seen bugs about the certificate being one that some systems consider outdated or insecure, so perhaps the comment in this bug is an issue for you:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=482215#c12

Ed Merks
Previous Topic:Eclipse fails to install on Linux Mint 18 (Known issue?)
Next Topic:Expressions View - source code flow
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 24 10:42:31 GMT 2024