Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Linux debugging GUI issue
Linux debugging GUI issue [message #1736756] Fri, 01 July 2016 13:54 Go to next message
Daniel B is currently offline Daniel BFriend
Hello,

My problem is the following: whenever I debug some application (C++, don't know about others) with eclipse, I pause the program and I move with the mouse cursor over a variable to look at it's contents, the popup that appears seems empty, because the background is white and the text is white. Only the selected line can be read properly, since it has blue background. How or where can I change the foreground or the background color of this popup?

Unfortunately I cannot provide you with a screenshot, because whenever I try to take some screenshot the popup closes. Not even when using timed screenshooting.

Kind regards,
Daniel
Re: Linux debugging GUI issue [message #1736814 is a reply to message #1736756] Sat, 02 July 2016 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
I use the dark theme and get something similar.
The problem seems to be that the first line which contains the variable name and type is being highlighted..
There doesn't seem to be any way to change the color.
For ints, etc. the value is displayed in the bottom pane of the popup so I've consider it only a nuisance.
Structures have only one line obscured.

It's not just popups. I have a similar problem in viewing the stack trace in the Debugger, Expression and Variables views.
And not just the debugger. I have lines I can't read in some other popup dialogs such viewing properties.

The only way around this (other than living with it) seems to be to revert to the classic theme with only default colors.

The Eclipse project is short on QA. Even with good QA the number of possible setting configurations has grown past the point of being able to test them all. And more being added. Someone recently asked for a change to the way the F6 key operates when using another key does exactly what he asked. Not good enough apparently. He didn't want to move his hand to the other button. It's the proliferation of these little things that make testing hard.

You could always ask for your money back.

---

You can capture popups if you map the PrntScrn key to your screen capture utility. Never tried it myself though.
Re: Linux debugging GUI issue [message #1736828 is a reply to message #1736814] Sat, 02 July 2016 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello,

I've found another popup which has this error and a screenshot of that could be taken. I've also made a camera photo of the other popup I meant. Both are in the attachments.

I use the GTK theme and I tried other themes as well. No theme had these popups readable. I even use SWT_GTK3=0. I have tried using a screen capture utility, even delayed one. But still the popup closes. I even tried using a screencast software (gnome-shell) to record a video and then getting frames out of it, but the popup won't show then.

Kind regards,
Daniel
  • Attachment: popup2.png
    (Size: 26.21KB, Downloaded 131 times)
  • Attachment: popup1.jpg
    (Size: 390.98KB, Downloaded 139 times)

[Updated on: Sat, 02 July 2016 13:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Linux debugging GUI issue [message #1736839 is a reply to message #1736828] Sat, 02 July 2016 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
I forgot to mention that the desktop theme also plays a role. Some of the colors depend on the system theme or are modulated by it. Other things , too. I've only found one using xfce4 that gives a good balance. Finding it was very tedious. Even then, when using vnc the colors change even if both systems have the same desktop settings.

I would be surprised if this only happens when debugging. The popups seem the same as those in the editor when not debugging although there is a difference when setting focus.

Here's what I get for a popup in the debugger:
index.php/fa/26350/0/

and here's the breakpoint view
index.php/fa/26348/0/

There is little difference between them. I haven't made any changes except to set the desktop theme (MurrinaCappuccino) and set the overall theme in Eclipse (Dark). As far as I know the color of the popups currently can't be easily changed with options.

Frustrating and not much help I know..

Edit:
I was afraid that first would be really large and it was, I stopped embedding it. I'll look into fixing it later
Edit 2: fixed

[Updated on: Sat, 02 July 2016 21:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Linux debugging GUI issue [message #1736856 is a reply to message #1736839] Sun, 03 July 2016 12:48 Go to previous message
David Vavra wrote on Sat, 02 July 2016 17:25
I forgot to mention that the desktop theme also plays a role. Some of the colors depend on the system theme or are modulated by it. Other things , too. I've only found one using xfce4 that gives a good balance. Finding it was very tedious. Even then, when using vnc the colors change even if both systems have the same desktop settings.
Well, I cannot change my desktop theme, since there is almost no complete one for gnome 3 except for the standard adwaita theme. Still, other applications do have proper colors and work fine. So I think the fault is at eclipse, not at my system.

Quote:
I would be surprised if this only happens when debugging. The popups seem the same as those in the editor when not debugging although there is a difference when setting focus.
As I've shown in one of my images, it is also in other popups (e.g. the file tab bar drop down). It is basically any interactive-list-popup I think.

Quote:
There is little difference between them. I haven't made any changes except to set the desktop theme (MurrinaCappuccino) and set the overall theme in Eclipse (Dark). As far as I know the color of the popups currently can't be easily changed with options.
I think it is time to file a bug then: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=497196
Previous Topic:Make Errors
Next Topic:Linkercall fails because of Windowslimit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 24 06:56:53 GMT 2024